AVEOX MOTORS/ESC

I recently bought a complete airframe (Hotliner) with motor, esc and batteries all in place.
The aircraft has a span of 2450mm R E A and M control.

The motor is a geared AVEOX 1406/2Y 40,000RPM MAX 80A Peak hard wired to an AVEOX Hybridrive M160C esc 4-21 cells 70A cont. 120A 10 secs.
This was being driven by a pack of 16 x NiMH 3300 cells.( very heavy)

my questions are this,

Is the motor / escape combination any good?
can I run the combination on LIPO batteries if so what do I need?
If not, can someone suggest a motor/esc combination to replace it?

Edited By NIGEL CASTLE on 04/04/2011 20:51:53

Advert

Blimeys- antique roadshow is in town
Thats an old sensor-ed motor which supplies its feedback via the small gauge wires to the ESC. Its quality gear, and thers no reason at all to not use it ( assuming it actually works )
You can use Lipos - the ESC says maximum 21 cells ( nickel ) so thats about 25V nominal, or in Lipo terms = 7.
Common packs would be 6s ( 22V nominal ). The only thing you need to be careful of is that the ESC will not have LVC suited to lipos, and even if you could fool it and reprogram for lower cell count, it may not be quite right.
If you dont mind not having LVC ( and I never use it deliberately ) go ahead and use it on 6s.
If the ESC proves a duffer, or you want to use LiPos safely, then you could replace the ESC with a modern unit, and just leave the 5 wire plug from the motor disconnected - the timing feedback for the ESC will be sensed via the 3 main power leads as per "normal"

Nigel,

These are quite evocative photos, for me anyway. Once upon a time the hotliner was a popular style of model. I had one, secondhand, a Simprop Diamond, similar in shape to yours, as they all were, but the Diamond had a nice translucent blue canopy. An Aveox motor and ESC, can’t remember the sizes or numbers etc. but I can remember that I worked out the gearing at 2.3 : 1, and it had a 16” by 13” prop. I think the motor capacity was probably a bit bigger, the first owner, a brilliant pilot, sized everything to it’s max!
Mine used nicads, this was in the days before Ni-MHs, 1700mAh by 16, the biggest pack that would fit! As you said, heavy, thus high wing loading, making it very fast! I found it really needed a high degree of concentration, being so slim and fast it could almost be OOS in an instant; as a consequence the max motor run was about 5 seconds or less in any direction, including vertical. I remember reading at the time some of the continental experts had the hotliners going vertically upwards at about 150 mph. Whether that was true or not I don’t know, but it seemed possible. But I think you are looking at discharge rates of up to 150C, or more. It was an efficient machine though, on occasions I could achieve up to 20 minutes plus flights from what was in total about a thirty second motor run.

I never did any current flow or power checks, but I did burn two cells out on two separate occasions. The ESC didn’t have a BEC, of course, Everything was being driven to the limit and beyond, that’s why I always use a separate rx battery supply, as opposed to a UBEC. A personal choice thing, of course, but I did watch a similar model go in, not due to a power loss but a lack of tailplane authority as it transpired later, after there were other similar incidents; it was being flown by the previous owner of the Simprop. As he ruefully remarked at the time, ‘all that’s reusable are the servo extension leads!’ He was right, even the motor had a very distinctive bend in the middle. These fast models, out of control with no radio, could be quite hazardous.

I didn’t have any instructions with the ESC, and I managed to somehow disable it a couple of times, and I had a little difficulty in restarting it. As I remember there was a pair of leds, red and green, but I don’t think I ever did know how I did it. So you may need to be persistent. The sensor lead seemed a bit fragile, I had to repair that a couple of times. Although the battery leads were short, the large smoothing cap on the input used to get hot, it was really discoloured, but it still worked! Testing everything above a reasonable call of duty! Fairly unbreakable, I’d say.

My tx, MPX, is pretty versatile, so I could make the motor a really soft ‘soft start’. If not, it would sometimes make a noise like a machine gun firing until it got going. The start-up torque is something else. Also I had a landing flightmode, a switch that disabled the motor and transferred some crow braking, both ailerons raised together, to the throttle stick, (I’m used to power), together with a bit of elevator mixing. I needed a sensible landing area, the model came in very fast so I had to get it just right. If it went too slow, even with the nose down, a wing would drop in a trice! One other thing about the ESC, if I tried to make the throttle control too wide, the ATV at the top end, to get maximum power, the motor would stop. That can be confusing.

I found I needed to fly this properly, it was always going to be flying fast, wherever, but it was extremely satisfying to say the least. You get requests to demonstrate! Eventually the motor had some rotor problems and then typically Aveox said they’d had a problem anyway and fixed it. But, sadly, I never got around to sorting mine out.

Good Luck with it. I might even be tempted into a little resurrection job myself.

PB