VMAX Brushless Va 2410-12 motor (150watts)

Bill McCreadie

Does anyone know how to mount a prop and spinner on this motor. The shaft is 2.7mm in dia. and is threaded for 22.3mm of its length after which it reverts to 3.0mm. I am more familiar with diesel and glowplug engines where mounting the prop and spinner is much more obvious.
Bill

Edited By Bill McCreadie on 14/04/2011 22:23:09

Advert

Bill that type of shaft is usually used with a GWS slow fly prop.

If you ask someone like BRC hobbies or Electricwingman they will recommend a size suitable for your motor.

The slow fly props have a deep hub which sits nicely on that shaft, a nut secures the prop., not sure if you can make out the hub shape in this photo?

Edited By Chris Bott on 14/04/2011 22:35:16

Bill,

I've just downloaded the manual for the VMAR P-51 and it shows a standard brushless motor with a non-threaded shaft. Presumably what they have supplied is nothing like that? No chance of a photo, is there?

Personally, I think the long threaded shafts are a bit vulnerable to bending at the least opportunity. Is it feasible to cut off the threaded portion and use a collet-fixing spinner like this instead? (Sorry to keep using GC - it's just easy to use them as a an example!)

If you can get enough of the remaining 3mm shaft through the front former, a standard spinner should work fine.

I had a similar problem with a little Cub - the prop shaft was way too long and needed a special spinner, so I shortened it and used a collet:

Something else I noticed in the manual - they seem to supply those strange brown control horns. I had these on my VMAR Fournier and they are prone to breaking - I lost an aileron in flight and had a rebuild to do. It might be worth giving some thought to replacing them with more conventional stock.

Pete

Hi Pete, the motor shown in the manual is nothing like the one supplied its very like the motor in your post except that the can is deeper. The shaft length seems to be necessary as the motor is mounted quite far back from the nose. I've looked at the spinner you suggest and it would seem to be about right. There is no indication as to diameter though. To look right it should be about 1.825 inches.
I'd love to post pictures but I don't know how, could you let me in on the secret??
Bill

The spinner diameter is 45mm (designated D45) which is 1.77in, close enough, I'd say.

Basically, there are two ways to post pictures. The first, which requires you have a Photobucket account to which you can upload piccies, is in this tutorial. Unfortunately, the link in that post to explain how to upload piccies to your forum album is dead, so I'll give you a quick run-down

First of all, resize your pics on your computer to something like 800 x 600 pixels (that's what I use), save them as jpg images and put them in a folder, say, on your desktop.

Then go to the top left of this page and in the 'My Account' box, click on 'My Photos'.

Click on 'Create a Photo Abum' and give it a name.

The next page you see is 'Add New Photos'. Click 'Browse' on the first line and navigate to the first photo you've saved in the desktop folder. Paste that address into the box and continue until you've entered details of all the pics you want to upload.

Click 'Upload Photos', and then make a cup of tea whilst you're waiting - it can take a while!

Once you've done the first, it's not difficult - just a bit long-winded.

Back to the motor, it's your decision as to how much fettling you wish to do, of course. I have an ST Models Fox which has a similar prop mount to yours and, IIRC, it needs a particular spinner with a threaded backnut which fits on the extended shaft, the prop being secured with a second nut. I don't know how readily available those threaded spinners are.

The alternative I suggested would require inserting a spacer (hardwood block?) between the motor and the mounting bulkhead to bring the shaft to the correct position to accept the replacement spinner .

Perhaps we all need to go and lay down for a bit.............

Pete