• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am also interested in obtaining latex tubing for bungee launching an easy glider. I cant beleive the amount of outlets in UK selling gliders and no means of launch. I tried making up a bungee with the cotton covered chord and it was an absolute waste of time and money. The chord would not even streatch to 150%.

Ken,  hook should be no further back than the C.of G. You can use a releasable tow hook which I would say is much more desirable( almost essential in fact) for safe release   More so with a bungee or winch than with a hand tow as the tow man can stop and give slack on the line if you need a quick release, whereas  a bungee will keep tension on. This is fine if you are good on the sticks and know how to dive it off if necessary. You can also use an adjustable hook if you are not sure of the best position, and it is quite easy to make a standard wire hook adjustable by fitting a sliding collar on the hook.(but make sure that the tow ring cannot get past the collar and jam on. The good side of an adjustable is if you do not have too much experience, is that you can set it say up to 1" in front of the C.of G. until such time as you are happy with the launches and move it further back in calm conditions, or forward for windy conditions. I'm sure that you will get lots of advice on this subject 

Sandy, if you look back through the posts you will find 2 suppliers in the states, there is also a German supplier but a bit pricier and then you have the language difficulty to contend  with.

I still use my 25 year old bungee from time to time.

This is the version with the cotton covered shock cord, heavy duty fishing line (100lb+ I recall) , a small parachute and a doggy stake.

I have pinched bits off the end of the shock cord over time so it is now a little short and a bit vicious so I need to add some more to get the gentle progressive launch back.

I finally made  a tow hook, attached it this morning and took part in a glider event. Never flown a glider before but managed an unexpected loop on first flight but improved to a short reasonable second flight. Came last in the session but very much satified for my first effort. So far, so good. More practice required but should get there fairly quickly.