The joy of slope

I like the 46" WT ( in case you didnt know ) but before AE buts in, there are alternatives of course.
One thing with the WT is that you get everything included, cross weave fibregalss tape, covering colored parcel tape, wing joining glue, all fittings etc.
Just supply 2 x bog standard S148 type servos, a 4 cell square nimh pack, and a simple receiver ( only two channels needed ) and your away.
Give Alan Head a call ( evenings preferred ) Tel (01273) 494140
......and get ready for a long chat

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 03/08/2011 15:08:09

Advert

Steve, I can certainly recommend a Wildthing for a beginner (or for anyone else,for that matter).
I've had mine for several years now. Been recovered twice in different schemes. It is certainly my weapon of choice when testing out new slopes. Totally indestructable and copes with low lift quite well.
Cross weave tape is available from a building supplies firm - it's used for joining plasterboard sheets together apparently. Finishing tape to apply the colour scheme of your choice is available from stationery supplies shops - it's only coloured parcel tape.

Here's mine contemplating yet another Lemming mission.............

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 03/08/2011 16:40:56:

H'mmm...methinks I might have to raid ye olde piggy bank.....maybe I can take it with me when we go camping in North Wales & take a crafty right turn off the A55 at Llandudno....."Er just a scenic short cut dear...."

If you will excuse the pun.............................it sounds like you are on the slippery slope now.

Remembered I still had this video on my camera. Taken a few weeks ago on Mickey's slope, the Bwlch, on the day Conway Soarer, (Jon) visited us. The video is of local Aussie, Clayton, (otherwise known as Skip) was test flying his repaired F3F Scorpion.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 04/08/2011 09:42:35

Phil

With your current flying skills, and after having spent a few minutes flying the classic figure 8, you'll find yourself becoming more adventurous and trying loops, rolls, cubans etc. The Zagi won't go as fast as that Scorpion, but in a good blow you'll certainly have a lot of fun doing that kind of thing. I know I do

Right guys, here I go.
As previously mentioned Friday is the day Steve Houghton will be introducing me to sloping with my beat up 2nd hand Zaggi.
To have a fighting chance of having any luck I need to check out a few things with you guys if I may.
Firstly my Zaggi weighs 25 oz all up, is this about right?
Secondly, C of G, looking at various forum postings suggest 7 - 8 " from tip, is this correct?If so mine is tail heavy.
Next, Elevons - I have max of 18mm up and down, is this enough?
And finally, I think, to add weight is it ok to scrape out some of the nose and epoxy the weights in place.
Many thanks
Phil

Phil

Not sure about the weight, 25oz seems quite heavy. My Beevo weighs in at 18oz, but it'll still go ok.

Probably a good idea to start with the recommended CofG but take some sticky weights with you in case you need to alter it. I had to add 15grams to the rear to get mine to run true on the dive test and my CofG works out at 81/2" from the nose tip going backwards.

Elevons? Wings usually only need a little elevator but lots of aileron, so I would suggest 4-5mm on elevator and 10mm or more on aileron. You can always adjust that on the tx if you find either isn't enough or too much. I have max aileron set on my Wildthing and it does lovely axial rolls. Also this evening, hold a ruler against the underside of the wing, the elevon should be in line with the wing without a gap between ruler and elevon.

Traffic permitting I should be home from work at 4.30 ish, so if you can be at my place for about 4.45 we'll be ready to rock n roll, and it's only a 35 minute ish drive. Forecast tomorrow is westerly 8mph, but on top of the mountain that'll probably equate to about 12 - 15mph, just right for a maiden

If the weight of your Zagi is too much for the conditions, you can fly my Wildthing.

See you then mate

Right. Ian and his lovely wife Hilary made it to the Orme.

( You need to click the pictures to get the right display).

to be met by lovely blue skies, a few white clouds, and best of all, a smashing 28MPH westerly -bang on the slope. Perfect conditions
Heres the proud owner and his weapon of choice - the infamous Zagi - and after a quick checkover, I pronounced it a good 'un - lovely job done.

A little adjustment to the reflex and he bravely took the sticks whilst I lobbed it off, and she's away..... took to it like the proverbial duck to water he did.

Here he is enjoying the view.

A few attempts at solo launching showed the worth of something tough and bouncy for beginners, and the strengthening winds made it a little tougher.
Looking every inch the pro.
He even joined in the combat and managed a hit or two

A bad back saw me having to abandon play around 6.30Pm, but Ian stayed on with Richard "countdown" Whitley for company... seems to be enjoying himself I think
probably still there as I type this !!

So, a very successful day, great to meet up at last, and I have feeling we may be seeing more of him soon. I think Hilary may have some more pictures...and a video clip or two.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 04/08/2011 19:44:44

Well done everyone

Ian the acting in that last shot is brilliant

Nice one Ian, hopefully we'll see some video eh. So come on, in your own words, what did you think of it

Nice one anyway

I can say absolutely that today another slope flyer is born from here on in no lump in the ground will go un-noticed no weekend forecast will be missed short cuts all over the desk top for weather station at different sites and of course the constant urge to have just one more slope machine faster cleaner than the last one.
all I can say is welcome to the addiction

This is certainly getting infectious.....

I had a thought last night & it doesn't happen very often so I thought I'd share it with you....

How about a Beginners Guide to Slope article or two in the mag....first models, what makes a good slope.....EPP construction techniques & all that sort of stuff....a bit like Tims Electrics De-mystified series a few issues ago....

The only thing I know about slope soaring is to "...always turn away from the slope..." which I read or heard years ago.....

I always read Andy Ellisons On The Edge column as I like the technology & reading about the large moulded gliders he tends to concentrate on but I read it much like I read about a Porsche or a Lamborghini in a car mag......secure in the knowledge that I will never own one..!!!

Basic stuff is what we want....EPP models...how to fly a slope....how to land....I think it would be very popular....especially if this thread is anything to go by....

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 05/08/2011 09:44:27:

The only thing I know about slope soaring is to "...always turn away from the slope..." which I read or heard years ago.....

Good advice for a beginner, but it should read ........" Always turn away from the slope, until you really know what you are doing"

Stan Yeo wrote some very good articles about sloping. Many of which can be found on his website. HERE