DX6i proportional crow braking?

Can you do proportional crow braking on a 4 servo wing glider???

I currently have a glider with just aerilons but want to buy a new one with
a 4 servo wing, I have spoilerons set up at the moment using the flaps which
are mixed to the throttle on mix one and mix two doing the elevator, Am i right
in thinking I could use the throttle output and a Y reversing lead to make the
flap servos work???

Has anybody been successful doing this??
or do I need to buy a new transmitter, if so what would be a good one, Alot of people I see are using the JR PCM9ii with a 2.4 module, The new JR in 2.4 is £339.00 is this good value or is there something else???

help needed !!!!!!

Advert

Tony the TX question is a mine field , I use a mpx evo 9 and love it but I know several good pilots that use the JR. All you need to be sure of is what you want the radio to do and then will it do it . if you can get yes to both then its just a case of what you like the look of.
I am assuming that you have flying buddies , if so what do they use . This can save on hassle as they would (hopefully) be able to help you set it up .
In answer to the first question , Yes it can be done but its a little agricultural and if you can afford the new radio it would be an investment for all your future multi-flappy toys

Hope this helps

Lee

Hi Tony.

Yes the flaps would work on the throttle channel with a reversing y-lead.

You will however need far more functions than just flaps to get the best out of a four servo wing.

Crow braking will need both ailerons mixed to the throttle channel and it will then need a third mix for elevator compensation.

Ideally you will then need flaps linked to ailerons for increased roll rate, which requires the flap servos on separate channels.

Then there is the linking of ailerons to flap which will provide full wing camber and reflex for thermal and speed modes.

All these can JUST be acieved with a DX7 and uses all six programmable mixes.

I now use a JR DSX9 but any Tx with a specific good sailplane program should be able to do the job.

With the DX6 I'm afraid that it is a very much a non starter.

Thanks for the replies,

Looks like am buying a new transmitter as well then,
If you say a dx7 will only just about do it I guess a dx8 or jr dsx9 would be a better option, I suppose the bigger question is do I need a 4 servo wing as my next model? I've really got a Luna sunbird60 or typhoon in mind, but that's a question for a different thread. It's so difficult to make my mind up.
Anyone got any better ideas???.

Thanks

Go for a new TX and you might as well make it a good one . As soon as you get any of the models you mention you will fall into the molded money pit and lose all the skills for keeping money you ever had Its a really sad story but its true , you really will get sucked in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, forgot the snap flap function where flaps and ailerons are linked to elevator.

The mouldie trap becomes us all as they fly superbly, yet can easily break if not landed well.

You do need to be skilled in glassing/carbon reinforcement or repair .

There is a thread on DX8 vs DXS9 and I suppose it depends if you want the downloadable software and telemetry, or just a good system.

For a six servo ship the DSX9 is more than adequate and I picked mine up from e-bay.

As for that first mouldie, go for the Luna or Typhoon.

The Luna is more docile and forgiving and the Typhoon is faster and more aerobatic.

Both have weak spots and will break!

Thanks again for the comments

To be honest I didn't realise you needed so many functions and I don't even know what snap function means but I guess that's the learning curve. The dx8 does look a more appealing price as it comes with a receiver for around ?280 compare with about ?400 for the JR.
As for getting sucked in, I already am and I don't even own my first mouldy yet!!!!
Will have a ring round and see what's in stock and order in the next week or two.

Personally, I think the DSX9 is better for "serious" gliders than the DX8.
I still wonder why ,when the 8 was released, they didnt include a proper dedicated sailplane flight mode, instead of a fiddly manual mix which I believe involves most if not all of the free mixers to be used.

What you normally use on a full house glider ( simple version )

Elevator , Rudder, aileron x 2 , Flaps x 2 . all needing servo's
So all above will need what would be considered normal functions plus
Modes ,
Normal = elev , Rudd and ail you should know , then the flaps are linked by some ( me ) so they assist the ail's , I only use up assist some use up and down assist.
Thermal = lowering of ail+flap normally by 3-6mm
Landing = Ail up , Flap down
Then you have different setting's for different effects ,
Reflex = ail+flaps up slightly 2mm or so
Snap Flap = ail+flap linked to elev , This can be set up in a number of configurations , I have mine so that it comes in after 33% of elevator movement and the ail+flap move the same amount as each other or the flaps slightly more , around 3-6mm in total.
you can also link rudder to ail but I dont know why you would if you have two thumbs.

So thats the ones I can think of and I am sure there is prob more that your radio will need to deal with

Hope that helps lol

Lee

Reflex changes the wing to give less lift and making the model move quicker ,

Snap Flap make's the glider turn quicker , square loops , quick turns in F3F etc
Flaps+ail  down when elev goes up , and opposite for down elev   

Lee

P.S. all settings vary with different gliders and how you like to fly  

Edited By Lee Morgan on 29/06/2011 17:54:15

Thanks Lee for taking the time to explain these terms for me, it just make me realise how
much I have to learn, and no thanks to you Tim, as you now have me thinking again as to
what radio to buy. I thought I was settled on a DX8 but your the second person that seems
to favour the JR, personal recommendation from guys like yourselves is difficult to ignore.

I guess am gonna have to research this a little more.

Lee you were right, this really is a mine field!!!!!

Thanks again

oops - sorry Tony - but with prices as they are, Im sure you will agree that its best to ensure you have an investment in the Tx rather than something which you may be outgrowing, or frustrated with later.
DONT rush the decision, and try to canvass a few more opinions and maybe handle the gear before you decide. I like the Spektrum stuff , using a DX7 and DX6i for the last 4 years and nothing else - and rather fancied the DX8 myself, but the sole reason for my hesitation is the glider function.
Why not start a new thread specifically for that purpose?...over in "Radio Gear", or here in "Gliding"

To add to Lees excellent list....on my flapperon equipped models I use a free mix to setup the throttle stick to activate the flapperons, with a neutral centre position engaged by a small notch filed into the throttle quadrant. Activated by the flight mode switch, in the "ON" position, flapperons can be proportionally lowered / raised by the throttle stick position.
I have mine set to drop the flapperons as the throttle is lowered, and raised as its moved up toward full WOT

That's exactly the situation I was in with six Spekky receivers and a DX7 Tx which would not quite do everything needed for six servo mouldies.

I was able to find an "as new" (and it is) DSX9 on e-bay for £300 - there is now one advertised in the August edition of the mag for £250.

The DSX9 has a specific glider program with everything included, and when set up for five different flight modes, I have only managed to use two of the six programmable mixes.

To complicate the issue, is there not a downloadable glider program for the DX8?