Flyaway

Airwilf

Yep, the classic error.
Took of into a light wind with my EPP Eagle, did my usual, climbed up till it was a spot in the sky & then did my best to impersonate a bird of prey looking for prey & thermals.
Think I had it up to a record (for me) 2000ft twice, with long climb outs to altitude.
I then had the dumb idea of flying downwind a few fields to bring the eagle home via a neighbours house to give then a flypast.
Yep, the wind picked up a bit & my battery was a lot more tired than I realized (long max power climb outs), turning into the wind now with little altitude to spare I found the model did not have enough power to fly upwind back to me, or even climb.
The best I could manage was to hold position, before it got blown off track & had to turn back to face me.
All the while getting further & further away & harder to see.
Battery power fading & now losing height over houses, decided only option was to turn down wind, clear houses & hope to ditch where I would be able to find it.
Then followed 3/4hr of wandering around fields, climbing hedges (one I discovered had a 10ft drop on the other side!) all while waggling my tx sticks hoping I would hear the servo`s.
Searched 2 fields down from where I thought it might be & went 3 fields downwind further than I thought it could go.
About to backtrack when I spotted the wandering downed bird, yet further away down wind sitting next to a hedge.
It had gone in nose first, cracked the fuselage around the nose, broken the prop & broken a feather off the port wing.
Not bad, had a spare prop, 1/2 hr of glue & all good.
Best bit, the little mini video camera on it had recorded everything, so I have some interesting footage.
The next morn I found a thorn stuck in, losing a model can be a pain in the butt, literally.

Here`s some of the vid stills.

Then it flew away, this is what I found (eventually).

Oops.

Hi Tim

I use a 30c 2600mh 3 cell battery in mine.
Often get flights of 30 mins or longer if I can find some lift.

That`s why this is the only model I don`t set a battery timer for.

What do you use?.

Hi Tim

I do most of my flying after work in the evening, so most of the thermal lift has gone.
There is a possibly good site for slope soaring nearby, but the local buzzard is VERY aggressive & territorial (has hit my eagle & punctured the wing!).

I have managed 45 mins, but full credit to you for exceeding an hour, nice one.
You`ll be needing a comfy deck chair to fly for longer ;o)

I have fast planes, aerobats, warbirds & scale planes but still enjoy flying the eagle more than the others.
Feels more `natural` despite it`s many limitations.

Mine of course has been modded & it now pees on command (only water, & it STILL didn`t put off the local angry bird).

Test flown tonight after repairs, all good, had to dive back to terra firma when a very low cloud bank floated over.

Cheers.

Hi Fly boy 3

No only have the 1 EPP Eagle (at mo ;o) ), the other bird in some pics is a friendly wild buzzard.

Unlike the unfriendly one that poked 3 holes in my Eagle recently

Cheers.