What foam

dash

Ok I've decided to have a crack at making a foam plane as my starter plane as seams to be the most cost efective way to get started and won't be bothers when it hits the floor I know I can make it no probs but as not got a clue about any foams not sure what type to get. Depron seems to be the standerd foam! But after reading around it's got pros and cons.
So what want to know is what is a forgiving foam that cam take a small Bump and not crack?

Advert

Personally i've had no problems with Depron.. It's not torn or cracked or anything, but I haven't had any incidents yet.. !!

Regards Model... I built a free plan 'Edge 540' profile from RCModelworld first, as it was proper simple, and flies brilliantly (30+ 8min flights now), but there are plently out there..
I've just finished a bipe I found on the web.. Here : http://waves.ky/2006/06/10/breeze-f3p/

And I should mention RCM&E's plans, of course..

HTH's

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Hehe it was your post you made on my other tread that made me go let's have ago at this. You said about the edge and how it helped. Yeah I've found tons and tons of free plans first bipe plan tho pit that on the todo list
Need to work out this brushless stuff as well always get lost when I look at esc and motors.

Glad to have been of assistance...

Regards power, my local shop is OK, but not the best, so selection is limited..
With the foamies (NOT proper planes - yet) I buy by cost...!

Go for a motor around £10-20, and an ESC around £20-25..

I ignore the 2426/12 bit, and concentrate of the KV and max watts.. You want a motor around the 150-300 watt mark, and the ESC will be around 18-25A. The KV rating is how fast the motor spins.. 900rpm/Kv = small slow fly, big planes, 2000rpm/Kv is high, for ducted fans... summut like 1300-1800 would probably suit most foamies for normal flight, unless you build a slow flyer which needs less...
Make sure the ESC can run upto 3s, but don't pay for more at this stage.. Keep it cheap..
Servo's - I fitted cheapy £3.99 5g no-names to the ailerons on the bipe, and one stoped within 2mins..!! Since fitted 9g branded and all is well, so I wouldn't get the cheapest servo's, but again, no need for full digital metal gears either.. pay £5-8 per servo..

Hope that helps.. not a technical guide I know, but it's all I used to get my Edge going, and she flies vertical like a rocket on a 1300 3s, 25A ESC and 170w motor (2426/12 iirc)..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

I went into another shop last weekend and saw a Multiplex Gemini hanging from the ceiling.. It was about the same size as my bipe, and same weight too (empty frame) so I asked what power train it was supposed to use, to get an idea for mine..
He came back with £80 for motor and ESC.. !!!!!!! He said its best, haven't got anything cheaper, and walked away.. !! Lovely..

Upon closer inspection, and a different assistant, I found an overlander 260w motor (2628/09 or 12) for £11.99, and an 18A ESC for £15.99... !!! Might not be the Hacker motor he wanted to sell me, but cost less than half and will do for my foam creation..

Cud have done with a bigger ESC after using the wattmeter (24A peak.!!), but just proving it can be done for little outlay..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Hi Dash, If you enter "Twin boom" into the search box, you will come across a blue foam build blog by Tom Wright 2. Even if you do not build one there is lot of information regarding this material, glues, tools etc. which will be a great help. Also by the same Tom Wright2, there is a blog on budjet white foam and pipe lagging ( honest) models, from which I am sure a lot of very useful information will be gleaned. Cheers FB3
Enter "pipe lagging" into search box.

Edited By fly boy3 on 15/08/2011 14:57:29

@Cyclicscooby that will help loads really appreciate it least I know what sort of thing I should be looking at! And not going what is this back magic hehe.
Might go for semi decent servos been the real cheap way befor with striped gears and super glitchy not fun in a car so guess be really bad in a plane hehe.

@Fly boy haha thought you where having a laugh will have a read of thos post now thanks for the heads up.
Again thanks for the info everyone really grateful