62.5 Inch Tony Nijhuis Spitfire Build Log.

GrahamC

Nice build indeed FirstFlight. Interesting to see someone else pondering the same questions!

I'm not going to try and hide the elevator linkage. I've cut a slot, and plan to use a push rod.

I looked at a built up tail but found that the shape on the 72 inch didn't match myself. I was also mindful of weight, as this model does have a reputation for requiring weight at the front, and I didn't think I could beat this: [92g including the joining wire]

BTW - FIrstFlight... There is somewhere on modelflying a comment about the need to change the incedence if the tail is built up rather than a plank. Its in one of the threads for this particualr model.

Just out of interest I thought I would weigh the rest so....

Fuselage in first coat of Eze-Kote [ Sorry hard to read... 482g. It aslo needs servo rails.]

Cowl is 48g and needs some more coats of Eze-Kote

And finally, the wings are the heaviest item so far, but they are ready for their paint at 752 g

So 1372g so far. It will be interesting to see how much more weight the further coats of Eze-Kote add.

Oh... and FirstFlight... An idea I've had to think through.

Having built the fuselage, I wonder whether it might be lighter and easier to insert formers and plank the top rear of the fuselage. [The turtledeck] rather than use the two laminations of thick balsa as per the plan.

TN's way of doing it takes a lot of shaping and adds a lot of solid balsa to the rear of the CofG.

You would have to decide for yourself of course, but It seems to me that the sides and bottom of the fuselage are plenty stiff enough to handle the flight loads, and as you are going electric, vibration shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Just a thought

Graham

Thanks for your thoughts, Graham!

I saw the comment from Tony regarding the incidence, and I'm using same angel as on the 72' blueprint. Here is Tony´s comment: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=9948

Today I solved the linkage to the elevator as you can see in these pictures:

It was a lot of work to make the built-up tail, and it will probably be heavier than your solution. Here are my weights (excluding the rudder), 59g + 23g:

/Mattias

Edited By Firstflight on 27/12/2011 18:17:43

Posted by GrahamC on 24/12/2011 10:01:20:
Oh... and FirstFlight... An idea I've had to think through.

Having built the fuselage, I wonder whether it might be lighter and easier to insert formers and plank the top rear of the fuselage. [The turtledeck] rather than use the two laminations of thick balsa as per the plan.

TN's way of doing it takes a lot of shaping and adds a lot of solid balsa to the rear of the CofG.

You would have to decide for yourself of course, but It seems to me that the sides and bottom of the fuselage are plenty stiff enough to handle the flight loads, and as you are going electric, vibration shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Just a thought

Graham

Hello again!

I'm sharing your thoughts about the top-rear planking, but I made it he "quick and dirty” way...

I cut two pieces of 10mm balsa, but skipped the formers. Instead I glued another piece of balsa above the formers:
My fuselage has warped 2 degrees since I put it together, but I hope I can solve it when I mount the upper and lower planking.

(Just noticed that I misspelled angle yesterday, I apologize for that. Better use a spellchecking tool from now on)

/Mattias

• 2 weeks later...
Well things have slowed a little on the build as I have been putting a foamy together. I managed to get hold of a compressor, airbrush and touch up gun with some Christmas money, so I am ready to go with paint. I thought I would experiment with the airbrush on a foamy.

So here is my own take on the ubiquitous f-22 foamy. Now mine is inexplicably in Russian colours - which must have caused quite a diplomatic incident! Well, what can I say? There are a few at the club now as they fly very well and are quick and cheap to build. There are a couple of grey ones, a white one and an orange (yes orange) one, so I thought it was time for a blue one! PM me if you want a plan and build instructions.

Anyway... on with the Spitfire...

I've begun to sort out the office with some Depron to keep things light.

And the main fuselage is now in primer. A bit of filling and sanding, and the tail surfaces will be going on.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the finish so far. As I say there are a few areas that need a little work, but generally I was pleasantly surprised and its not too bad. The line where I have blended the wing fairing into the fuselage is perhaps the worst, but I think the judicious aplication of a panel line might do a fair bit to hide that.

I've been fiddling around with an app for my phone that is supposed to identify colours. I've been thinking about using thinned emulsion paint, and then sealing with WBPU. Anyway, my phone came up with a standard colour for G-MKXI. There is some suggestion by the way, that she is not painted in a standard PR Blue.

The suggestion is Crown Boutique

I took the colour reading from just in front of the cockpit. See what you think!

Edited By GrahamC on 11/01/2012 17:59:32

• 2 weeks later...
Right, time to catch up with progress.

I managed to get some paint. B&Q Didn't have the colour I wanted, but the local Crown paints centre mixed up a half litre tester pot for just over £3 so that was a result.

I decided to try it on the test piece. I didn't rub it down as much as I should have, but I'm fairly pleased with the result.

I sprayed the emulsion paint diluted with ready made screen wash. I then gave a very light dusting coating of the water based varnish, and then added two further full coats of varnish.

The line along the piece was an experiment in laying a think strip of paper into the varnish to simulate raised panel lines.

I've also experimented with drawing firm pecil lines in the primer to see what kind of pannel line effect this would give me.

Finishing off the filling and tidying seems to take forever!

Top of the wings are now in their first coat of primer. A bit of filling has since been competed and the top of the wing is rubbed down. I need to get another can of primer before I can continue!

I decided to have a go at the radiators. I'm trying to laminate balsa around a foam former. I'm not sure if it will work yet, as the PVA that I used for the laminating still isn't dry!

I want the radiators to be connected to the wing in such a way that they will break away in a wheels up landing without tearing out the bottom of the wing skin. I'm still thinking about this one as I go!

Edited By GrahamC on 23/01/2012 22:55:12

The other main job I've managed to get done is the cockpit. I constructed the basic shape out of Depron. (Does this make it a foamy?)

Fitted it to the fuselage...

and sprayed it green.

Still not got a name for the pilot, but he looks at home in his office!

I have a picture of a Spitfire dashboard to print out and stick on the front,,and he needs the cushion for his head. It's not up the the standards of some I could mention but I'm fairly pleased for a first attempt at a scaleish build.

I need to grab some canopy glue now. Fortunately I have to go past Gliders in Newark tomorrow so, I should have a chance to grab some.

I've got to get thinking about the exhausts too!

Edited By GrahamC on 23/01/2012 22:52:25

The cock pit looks great Graham a dashboard will be a nice detail touch and the exhaust ports will be good too ,good innovation I am going to go with Blue too looks smart ,I think it's the recon Spits that were all blue ,Have you seen the French Spit on Mightyspeech 's build , LUCKY ME I get to see two builds come together , I will be able to steal both your Ideas Your blue looks good there are such a lot of camo. Spits , they all look the same ,if your gona do a build you want to put your own stamp on it ; make it stand out a bit , Wish I had the dosh to start mine , Never mind I will get there EVENTUALLY .

David re 'dosh' to start - have you sat down and thought about the order inn which you need things? For example, to build the fuselage, it's handy to have the motor ( if you do go electric) but you don't need the ESC till much later in the build. It's handy to have a battery so you can make a place for it to fit. However if there is a cash flow issue, a block of foam cut to the correct dimensions will mean that is another purchase that can be delayed.

The wing ribs and spars should cost little more than a tenner I would have thought. What are they? 3/32 Balsa? Or are they light ply? You will want light ply around the retracts I would think.

I build on a budget! I only have so much to spend on my hobby a month, so I have to plan for cash flow!

My money comes in lumps depending on what work I have for the month ,self employed . A good month will do it ,and yes I have a build plan
1( TX and Sim
2 ( retracts and wood to start wings
3 ( servos ;finish wings
4 (build fus ect. ect.
I need the TX so I can test my retracts and practice flying ( ha ha ) It will happen I don't rush into things a regular income is nice you can budget for things ,the money I had spare this month went on van sods law .Have you had a look at this thread its funny

Well the build continues. This stage seems to take forever. So near, and yet so far!

My pilot is now in his cockpit. I glued on the canopy and blended it in to the fuselage with filler. Unfortunately, without thinking, I used an old reel of masking tape to hold on the canopy while the glue dried. This created two problems. First it left sticky residue all over the canopy, but worse, it damaged the fuselage where I pulled it away. All in all half an hour of making good and cleaning with white spirit! You live and learn as they say.

I masked off the canopy and sprayed it with primer from the pound shop which seems very good for the money.

The other job I started on was the scoop under the engine. I decided that it was going to be a bit tricky to build it from balsa, so I’ve started carving it from foam. First job is to sketch out a pattern.

Inspired by mightypeesh and his 45” build I decided to use a high build primer to pick out some panels on the fuselage.

Thinking that I might be able to kill two birds with one stone, I decided to concentrate on the areas where the finish was poorest in order to improve matters. It seems to have worked.

I could only get high build primer in yellow, but if this creates a slight difference the to the look of the finished painted colours, I don't think it will be a disaster as it won’t be too different to the real thing!

I used WBPU to place to paper details on the airframe. The method I used was to simply paint it on, place the paper panel on the wet varnish, and then paint WBPU over the top of the paper. This produced clear lines on my test piece, so I hope it will work!

Finally I just need to tidy the wing joining bandage on the bottom of the wings. The primer really shows where you have problems! I didn't think the bandage was was too bad untill I put primer on it!

Radiators are just sat in place at the moment.

I have a pattern tracer coming, (see the 45” build” and hope to get some rivet lines applied before too long.

Looking good Graham mightypeesh is inspiring , the forum is a gold mine of info and helpful people eager to share and encourage . Have you decided what paint job you will finish her with yet ? It's good to see it come together start to finish ,modelling is so satisfying it's an end in it's self , never mind the satisfaction of flying her after all the effort ,time and patience ; just think I may get mine done and find I am hopeless at flying (lol) Don't matter if I can't fly ,I will have so much fun building her

Isn’t it funny how during a build you want to put the model together from time to time to see what it looks like? Well I had an excuse this time. Even though it was freezing, I needed to mark the position of the wing fairings on the wing.

I also used the opportunity of having the wing and fuselage together to make a faring for the front of the wing. (With occasional trips back into the shed for a mouthful of coffee and to warm up!)

I masked up the wing for some raised panels. I got some of this Tamiya masking tape on eBay, and I have to say that it is fantastic. Just the right amount of tack, and it rubs down so that you can get a great crisp line.

I shaped a chin intake out of foam. Just for sake of interest the weight of the item just finished with spackle and sanded smooth here is 6g. Now it is glassed with WBPU and painted it weighs 10g. A final coat of WBVA to fuel proof the paint should add another gram or so.

Double post - si I'll edit it and put the rest here...

I decided to have a go with my touch up gun from Axminster tools for the wing. Paint went on nice and smooth. Here it is drying in the Dining room because it’s a lot warmer than the shed!

And a box of bits drying after their turn under the spray gun. Paint is Crown emulsion diluted 50% with premixed screen wash. I have to say that I’m very pleased with the effect. Dired paint will need to be protecte. On my test piece I sprayed a very very fine coat of WBPU and let that dry and then followed that with two further fairly fine coats. The effect is a shiny just off gloss finish which seems pretty tough.

The problem I  now have is the invasion stripes. There are not many black emulsion paints around, and you can’t buy white tester pots! I may try mat acrylic, or the Pound shop primer is very dark grey and might work. There is nothing I want to paint white in the house so I don’t really want a litre of it… I wonder if the Crown centre would sell me an unmixed tester pot?

I think that the roundels might well be Humbrol colours and I may hand paint them.

Anyway here is the wing ready for invasion stripes and roundel.

Edited By GrahamC on 06/02/2012 18:48:37

Time for a catch up on the build so far.

A few lumps and bumps on the front end! Still a little sanding to do here.

And after lots of fiddling with masking tape...

We have invasion stripes! Having boldly declared that you could not get black emulsion paint, guess what I found in B&Q! I found tester pots in Jet black and Antique white.

Well, more masking, and...

We have a fuslage! The wing is done to the same state, but until they are sealed with the top coat of WBPU I don't want to risk raindrops. This is the main drawback of the emulsion pain. Until it is sealed, it marks really easily. However, the coats of WBPU give it a fantastic and very scale sheen.

The blue for the roundels is B&Q Georgia, possibly just a touch too bright, but not bad.

The red was the hardest to choose. The RAF roundel red is actually quite brown. I picked a colour called Rosie. I think it will look OK, but there is really only one way to tell!

A couple of things learned...

a] A touch up gun is fantastic, and doesn't seem to use much more air than the airbrush. Well worth investing in if you have a suitable compressor. I have the Axeminster touch up gun, and apart from the instructions in 'Chinglish' it seems well worth about £20.

BTW here's the best line from the instructions: "Care must be taken absolutely not to burt each hole of air cap and the center hole of fluid Nozzle" I don't know who Burt is, but apparently you have to watch out for him!

b] The Crown paint is fantastic compared with the tester pots of B&Q's own brand. One coat was sufficient, and it obliterates the colour changes in the primer. Very impressive and actually cheaper by volume than the B&Q tester pots.

c] Before you spend 20 minutes cleaning out the spray gun, its a good idea to make sure that you have sprayed everything that you need to spray. Anyone notice the ailerons resplendant in their primer above? DOH! as they say.

I wondered about getting the Decals from Pyramid models as mentioned in one of the other builds here, but decided that as I had the paint, I would have a go. I figured that if I made a mess I could always put the vinyl ones over the top. I cut masks with a scalpel from reasonable quality two inch masking tape overlapped.

Anyway, one more picture.

Edited By GrahamC on 13/02/2012 19:01:42