flying wing motor/esc problems! need help

Alex Gibbs

hi guys

ive recently baught and completed a flying wings slopesoarer electric wing
i have a 3cell 2200mah battery, 40A jp energ 2-6cell ecs and a jp energ inrunner brushless I/R 3000 (A28-15) motor

i can get it to go but just as i take off, the engine cuts power drastically and then the wing just plummits to the ground due to lack of speed/power

ive changed the batteries a few times and its happening again, so i dont think its the batteries. it must be the esc or the motor

if anybody knows what could be wrong i would be grateful if you share your knowledge with me

thanks guys

Advert

If the engine runs up okay initially it sounds like the ESC is getting too hot. Do you know how many amps you're pulling? In my experience a 5*5 APC prop on a 2700kv engine is about 40A on 3S so you could potentially be over-heating the ESC if you're using that or more with a 3000kv engine....

As Ben says you might be pulling too much current....if you are overloading the ESC it could shut down to protect itself....or if the battery voltage is dropping dramtically (because you are overloading it!!) the LVC may cut in...

A wattmeter is your friend here.....

What happens if you hold the throttle at about half to two thirds open? Does it keep going??

Something like this is a really really good idea. I use mine all the time, whether it's testing new motor/esc/prop combos or just seeing how much juice is left in a battery, what the cell voltages are like.Sometimes I even use it to balance a pack after a quick (non balanced) charge before flying just to be kind to my battery packs.

The only slight annoyance is making up the in / out leads (if you're not using Dean type plugs which they come with). But that's a one-off annoyance and it's hardly massively time-consuming.

In this case not only would it allow you to see the ampage but also check the voltage drop from the battery when loaded.

considering a wattmeter is £15 and a ESC (if you burn it out) is about the same it seems a sensible precaution to get one.

The other thing you can do (in the abscense of a wattmeter) is run it up static and when it reduces power, see how hot the ESC is (carefully- it might be toasty!).

It might also be not so much to do with the prop you're using but more the timing. Inrunners normally want low timing, if the ESC is set up for high timing it might cause heat problems.