Correcting electric setup on an EDGE 540 68"

Shaunie

Hi All,
The airframe is a Seagull Edge 540 68". I was given it by a friend who bought it secondhand from a south coast model shop. It is well built in good condition but...
Stats:AUW 3.7Kg, 8lb 4oz. Motor: Emax BL4020/08, ESC:Emax 80 A, APC 14X7 C2 prop (?). When my friend bought it they sold him 5S 3200mAh 25C LiPo's. Checking the model out I would think it used to have 6S 4000-5000mAh as the battery holder built in ply is too big.
With one of these packs I get about 7000rpm at 520W and 2.1Kg, 4lb 6oz of static thrust.
I have flown it and to be fair it did ROG on a field that had just been cut for hay, not a proper runway. But it is underpowered as you might expect. It had some pretty nasty trim issues, I ended up putting another 60G of weight up the front (which supports the too smaller batteries feeling) so I have only had very short flights and I think duration would be quite short.
Now I could junk the entire power train and start again. But I am trying to work out a lower cost option. Either I buy bigger LiPo's and consign two almost new packs to the stockbin, bearing in mind I think this motor is inadequate. Or I could buy a bigger motor and use both packs together in parallel, series not a possibility as it is not a HV ESC. The motor does not seem to perform as it's spec sheet suggests, but then if it did it would outperform everything else on the market, a case of outrageous claims I think.
Any ideas?
Shaun

Advert

Hi Shaun,
From my experience with that motor, at a push you can get around
1100W with a 6S, 4500mAH, 20C Lipo and a 13x8 Master E-prop.
Current is 50A, which exceeds GCod's stated 45A/60S rating but it
will unload in the air.
APC props will no doubt give different readings.

You'd possibly want more than 1100W for an 8lb 4oz aerobat like
an Edge.

A motor able to handle 60A is needed for a 5S to get 1100W.
A Scorpion 4020-12 for example is rated at 85A but I think you'd
be much better off with a 6S setup & possibly a more powerful motor.