Piccollo Brushless swap

digitalflyer

Hi,

I could do with a bit of help and advice, I changed my main motor to brushless on my Piccollo Eco (or Fun as it is now known), and done away with the piccoboard as I managed to burn two out.

The problem I have is that the TX has been mixed for Main Motor and Tail Motor and this works fine, until I connect the Gyro. I've fitted a Esky Non Headhold Gyro.

The Gyro appears to aim but the Tail ESC will not arm properly and I can't find a way round it, everything works until  fit the Gyro.

The TX is a Futarba FF7 Super, with a mini RX, 3000 Brushless Motor and ESC to match,and a Brushed Tail motor with a 5amp Electric Flight ESC.

Can anyone throw some light on this problem and help me out please.

Thanks

Neil

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

Looks like you're not having much luck here Neil, I hope you have sorted it from other info somewhere by now.

I don't know the cure either I'm affraid but I run my Piccolo on a Century performance 'Gold' brushed motor and upgraded (slightly longer to look at) tail motor and 8 GP 950mah AAA cells. This gives a spirited performance for about 10 minutes.

The extra weight of the 8th cell enables it to be landed on a spot (like the arm of the settee) and has really made it a solid front room flyer.

Good luck.

David

Hi David

Thanks for your reply this evening.

The gyro problem I have cured - it turned out that the esky gyro was shot-at and has now been replaced with a new one from me local HS.

The problem i have now though is that when I throttle up past half way the esc on the brushless seems to cut and slows back to half power or even reset its self if I fit the main blades, with just the flybar I can get fll power, could this be down to the battery maybe, as it is only a 750mha 8.4ni-mi and the esc is kicking due to to high a current draw may be?

Have you any suggestions?

Thanks again

Neil

Hello Neil,

As you say, it sounds like the esc is tripping due to the current. What rating is your esc..? My brushed motor runs on a 950mah 8 cell pack for about 10 minutes making the draw probably around 5-6 amps.

Your pack may not be up to driving the brushless motor mate, but I don't run one so maybe someone else on here has had your problem..? I wonder if the higher current draw above 1/2 throttle is lowering the pack voltage and upsetting the esc..? I don't suppose you have a 2 cell Lipo handy to try..? Most brushless setups I've heard of run on Lipo's because of the extra performance the brushless give.

A mate of mine flies a plane that he has upgraded from Nimh AAA cells/brushed motor to brushless and he had to get a brushless esc and lipos. Took the performance to another planet and 20+ minute duration from 10. He had to program the esc as well from low to high throttle range.

Sorry I can't help you more but it sounds like your nimh pack can't hack it mate. Ask in the shop where you got the esc, there should be an experienced person to help, maybe take it all in on Saturday when other experienced modellers are your side of the counter and may offer advice as well...

RCMDIRECT do very reasonably priced lipos and charger/balancers for our small helis. I use them on my Twister CP. I would recommend a 7.4v 820mah 10C lipo and the charger above.. http://www.rcmdirect.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=101_78  but see what the shop says first. Maybe for a little more duration, the 1000mah 7.4v pack (unfortunately only in their more expensive and unnecessary 20C range) http://www.rcmdirect.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=101_92

Failing that, are there any halls that run occasional Winter heli nights around your area..? They will definitely help out and the shop should know where/when they are held..

TTFN...

Hi David

Thanks for the reply, sounds like you could be right, becxause I had a word with a fellow flyer yesterday and came up with a simular answer - Batterys.

He suggested lipos too, so looks like thats going to be the chose of power, he also suggested giving a try with a buggy pack just to see if we can get past half throttle.  The ESC by the way is one of these new fangled one from china Mystery 30A - they seem to be a mystery due the fact that the ionstructions for programming them is very - well lets say - explanetry.

Thanks for you help talk again and let you know how we get on.

Thanks

Neil

Hello Neil...I've found that only certain makes of AAA Nimh cells can deliver enough current to fly our mini helis. I have sanyo 950's and GP's that seem ok.

The Esc is rated high enough and works without the blades on so that should be programmed ok by the sounds of it.

I reckon a new Lipo is the answer matey...look forward to hearing the outcome.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...