Escale ElectraGlide

SMBO just bought my birthday/early Christmas prezzy.
An Escale Electra glide. Radio ready version
Anyone out there have one or have any experience of them.
The assembly nanual is for the RTF version, so no info on where the rx should fit. Obviously not a great problem but it would be a help to know the manufacturers prefered location.

Advert

ive got one but its in need of repair after a dumb thumb incident, great little glider, it will climb out of your hand at full throttle and ive had 30 min plus flights with the supplied 1500 mAh battery when its a bit windy taking it up high and floating around, i wouldnt recommend brisk wind as it tends to flip over and wander about,
i just velcro`ed my RX ( corona fasst soft case one ) on the deck behind where the battery is velcro`ed, cog was spot on and it just needed a few clicks of trim to fly hands off, one thing i did do tho is glued the tail surfaces on with some foam to foam glue, i didnt really trust the double sided tape

• 6 months later...

Does anyone still fly one of these? Mine has just arrived & I'm concerned about the attachment of the wings - a simple push fit into the fuz is all that's suggested, onto the wire wing spar (which fits loose into a tube in the wing). The fit is not very firm and, holding the 'plane by the wings mid-way along the leading edge, a slight jiggle is enough to loosen one wing from the fuz. I'm sure that more force will be applied to the wings in flight & I don't want to lose a wing on it's maiden.

Unfortunately I'd rather not glue the wings to the fuselage if I can avoid it, mainly for transport & storage reasons. I've considered pushing long panel pins through the fuselage & wing at the root, fore & aft, then taping over the pins for added security, but I'd appreciate some comments from other pilots of this otherwise great looking & feeling 'plane.

Thanks in advance,

Baz

Yes, I have this model also. I velcro'd the receiver as far back as possible behind where the battery goes, as I found the model was a little nose heavy for my liking, and I added an ounce of lead to the tail end. It also seems to have an incorrect motor thrustline, resulting in climbing under power, so I mixed in a little down elevator with full throttle and it is now happy, and a good all round powered glider, which also slope soars well. I use a strip of masking tape on the top surface to fix the wing(s) to the fuselage, and despite some serious throwing about, spins, loops, etc, they stay firmly in place.

I didnt bother gluing the tail on myself, just used the tape supplied.

One aileron servo packed up a few flights ago, but other than that - its a great model IMO

Excellent stuff Tim, many thanks. Masking tape is a simple stroke of genius, which explains why I didn't think of it. crook

I'm also surprised that the tail tape is strong enough for the job! I'll put away my drawer full of epoxies and take it for a spin (not literally hopefully) as & when & if it stops raining.

On another note, I maidened my ST Model ASW28 last night - 2 flights of about 15 minutes & I love it. It's a very calm flyer, not at all stressy like my IC 'planes, although a bit slow. I dove from height under full power until the wings began fluttering alarmingly. On landing I noticed that the wings had pulled out from the spar by about 5mm, even though they were screwed on!

Like Tim I put a strip of tape from wing root to wing root to hold the wings.

The double sided tape is sufficient to hold the tail assembly but with a less than ideal landing the tail will come unstuck.

When i first set the controls on mine, with the supplied Y lead,I found that both ailerons went the same way so connected them in seperate RX channels so I now have up flap for landing.

I have one of these and I (in my limited experience) would rate it. I must admit, I haven't had the problems mentioned with the wings, quite the opposite, I find it can be difficult to get them on. I've noticed that the wing spar has a slight bend at the each end, this seems to do the job. Although I have noticed the incorrect thrustline, I have the motor on a switch, and if I'd let it, it would loop quite violently, I'm planning on adjusting this with a washer or two.

Oh, I'm new by the way, so hello all smiley

Edited By James B on 21/06/2012 21:46:38

I may well be wrong but...

The motor is used to increase lift and raise the 'craft to a suitable height from which to glide. When the motor is off, the controls should be set up for a good glide angle. Therefore I would have thought that the thrust line for the motor should be set to climb whilst under power.

This being my first foray into gliders with power, and not having flown this model yet, I have yet to experience the issue, but my ASW28 also climbs when under power and is very neutral when gliding.

Posted by James B on 22/06/2012 14:16:06:

... I need about 3/4 down elevator to keep it level...

Ouch! Point most definately taken. I had no idea it was that bad. Thanks for the heads up as I'll have to be very careful not to destroy mine on its maiden.

Is your CoG good? Like Tim I've had to set my Rx very far back in the fuz to reduce the nose heaviness, although I don't plan on adding tail weight. I shall keep it slightly nose heavy to begin & adjust as required.

Edited By Baron Baz on 22/06/2012 14:23:04