Take Off Trollery thingy.

Now unable to launch big gliders left-handed and being absolutely useless launching right-handed I decided a decent trolley was in order, looking at most of my fleet they are all high winged and over 2 metre span so summat big enough and strong enough was needed.

First off the trough is equal sided section guttering 20'' long;

The front suspension is a beam mounted to 2mm flexible Polycarbonate sheet which allows independant movement of the suspension legs which are Ansmann oil-filled units off a r/c car.

The wheels are 6'' plastic drilled out to 13mm to take the ball races, these are mounted to 4mm silver steel rod which is silver soldered to two brass brackets bolted to the aluminium beam, the suspension legs are oil filled units bracketed to the outer ends of the beam and allow full vertical and some fore-and-aft movement.

The rear suspension is identical to the front but reversed so it trails, again Ansmann oil filled units and build although angles and lengths vary slightly bue to slightly lower ride hight.

At this point I still have to add the wheel collets and trough lining of neoprene sheet, for this I use camping bedding roll 5mm thick which works out far cheaper than buying from a foam supplier.
Although a little heavy the use of ball races and large wheels means the rolling resistance is quite low and as it is meant for take off front flat surfaces it should cope quite easily with lifting off a 100'' powered glider.
The lump of rope tied to the back axle is my patented release method, it trails behind the trolley and I stand on it, run the motor to full power and take my foot off.........simples.

Edited By Terence Lynock on 22/12/2011 13:41:41

Edited By Terence Lynock on 22/12/2011 13:46:23

Advert