Club waiting lists

So far Ive waited 2 years to join 2 local clubs to me as they are " full up". Is there a record out there? Whos waited the longest?

Sad thing is the main local one to me, ( Winchester) seems to have 130 members of which only 6 fly. I exagerate but the number of times Ive gone to their site on a sunny saturday and found no one there is beyond a joke.

Should clubs actively remove non flying members?

Advert

• 4 weeks later...

Why should the bmfa become involved? That is the most ludicrous suggestion ever. Lots of people don't want to fly on Saturdays preferring to fly midweek or Sunday. I think it's just crazy that on the basis of "a number of times" you're deciding club policy, getting the bmfa involved and will it be euthanasia next for the old gits, is it sour grapes or what?

John,

You pay, as does an affiliated club to join the BMFA . In turn they get the benefits of such affiliation. In turn the BMFA regulate and promote model flying.

Any club thats affiliate MUST prescribe to promoting the hobby not acting like a private club that wont encourage new members. I ve been on 2 waiting lists for 2 years for heavens sake!!! My 'number of times' is well in excess of 30-40 times as the route I cycle goes past the club site and yes Ive been there all days if the week not just saturdays...

Get rid of the stragglers, young OR old ( you refer only to old gits for some reason) and get more novices flying!!! The only altenative is that I carry on flying illegally occasionally using clubs fields whilst no ones there??

Adam the bmfa would run a country mile before trying to interfere in club affairs, the relationship is largely insurance based with the empowerment of the bmfa to represent modelflying in the lobbies of power and to administer the various national championships, achievement schemes and so on. They also provide a very valuable service in arranging applications for town planning.

They have absolutely no executive authority with clubs except to exclude them, one hopes, for massive failings in Safety.

I won't comment on the last paragraph but if you've been on two waiting lists for two years are you sure that it's not you?

I spent seven years on a waiting list to join the fenland wildfowlers and 6 to get a Morgan that I never even drove so two years is sweet fa really, even guiness drinkers expect something of a wait

Now perhaps would be a good time to think about getting a new club "Off the Ground". You would not be the first to do so. Almost guaranteed that each club member has a vote as to what the club rules are and I doubt that the members would agree to leave to suit outsiders.

A sad situation you are in though.