Aurora 9 crow /butterfly programming?

I bought an Aurora 9 for easy programming to get crow/butterfly braking. It appears the standard set up puts throttle on a switch and the throttle stick as crow for crow deployment. I would prefer to launch using traditional throttle on this stick then use a switch to change mode to crow on that stick as opposed to having the throttle either on or off on a switch

does anyone know if this is possible if so How do I do it

any help would be much appreciated

Advert

can you change the control for the throttle servo to the throttle stick? You know in the menu where it assigns servos to controls, like J1, J2, J3.

If so then it is probably just a case of telling the a9 to switch on/off each thing. You can definitely switch off crow on a switch. I haven't tried a model with a motor yet (because I don't own any!).

I don't have my tx with me at the moment, but I can look at it later.

Hi Mike,

I have had fiddle around with it and see exactly the problem you are talking about. As standard there is no way to use a proportional throttle control in the glider model type, that I can see.

I have tried playing with P-mixes and while you can mix one aux channel controlled by the throttle stick in to another and switch it on/off it still doesn't work. What happens is that when it goes to "off" the channel returns to the mid point rather than the lower endpoint. So you would still be at 50% throttle.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Tom

With an EP fuz for Luna to accommodate, I had a good fiddle today.

The problem is that (assuming mode 2) when THRO has J3 assigned to it, it already has the in-built CROW mix in that slot. You can turn CROW off on a switch, leaving the throttle control on the stick alone - but the converse is not directly possible.

However, if THRO is mixed to AUX1 (NULL in Channel), and AUX2 is then mixed to AUX1, AUX2 can then be assigned the same switch (in Channel) that turns CROW on and off, that then at the same time turns THRO off and on. The speed controller needs to be plugged into AUX1 on the RX. The stick operates the ESC throttle via AUX1, which in turn is switched by AUX2.

With snap-flap, full span ailerons, CROW, flaps, camber and everything else needed made available with the in-built mixes, there are still all the Pmix's still to play with, and this uses just two of them.

Not elegant but a result.

Obviously, the switched Motor control provided by the standard software set-up can be inhibited. 

Ro.

Edited By RGPuk on 14/01/2012 02:19:10

Edited By RGPuk on 14/01/2012 02:21:17

Mike, I can confirm that with a bit of percentage twiddling to sort the throttle down and full points, and putting the Thro>Aux1 mix on/off on the chosen CROW/Throttle switch, it works a treat. I've just now flown a Radian Pro to test it all - nice to have a propo throttle and not just be all or nothing on a switch.

Ro.

Hi Mike,

I have a Luna IIe and a Radian pro programmed on my Aurora 9, and use crow brakes on both. I use a slightly different method of control though...

I prefer to keep full control of the motor throughout the flight on J3 ( very helpful when I need to fly around when landing)

I have Crow configured on the toggle switch SW(H). I figure that Crow is used when I need to slow things down quickly, so having full crow come on when I pull the switch and go off when the switch is relesed works well.

If I need any less, I simply use the flaps that are configured onto the left slider.

Chris

Posted by Chris van Schoor on 16/01/2012 13:49:44:
................ A car brakes on a switch won't be fun....

Although, I do believe that this is what all the 'yummy mummies' in their shiny black, 4 wheel drive school buses/shopping trollies around our way have fitted. .......

Ro.

Hi I have just received a reply to my mail to Hitec re the above question i dont understand it yet as havent got as far as flight conditions yet but it may mean something to you guys!!!!!!!

best wishes

Mike

Hello Mike,
Thank you for choosing Hitec products. You could create a flight
condition in which the throttle curve is set to zero, and it would activate
your crow at the same time.

Thank you,

Billy Tompkins
Customer Service Rep.
Hitec RCD, LLC
Multiplex USA
Phone (858) 748- 8440
Fax (858) 859-2618
12115 Paine St.
Poway CA, 92064

Posted by Mike Phillips on 16/01/2012 16:59:22:
Hi I have just received a reply to my mail to Hitec re the above question i dont understand it yet as havent got as far as flight conditions yet but it may mean something to you guys!!!!!!!

best wishes

Mike

Hello Mike,
Thank you for choosing Hitec products. You could create a flight
condition in which the throttle curve is set to zero, and it would activate
your crow at the same time.

Thank you,

Billy Tompkins
Customer Service Rep.
Hitec RCD, LLC
Multiplex USA
Phone (858) 748- 8440
Fax (858) 859-2618
12115 Paine St.
Poway CA, 92064

Not sure what he means. What throttle curve?
I will have to go back and have another look, it seemed to me that the only way to use throttle, without a work around, was on a switch, in glider mode.

thankfully my 11x has a moto function for just such a thing even if it took me 7 hours to figure it out thanks to the ultra rubbish manual!! by the sounds of it you have to create a throttle curve in one of the flight modes where its set to zero but the problem with this is that it would be active in all other flight modes!!

Posted by Tom Satinet on 17/01/2012 12:06:15

Not sure what he means. What throttle curve?
I will have to go back and have another look, it seemed to me that the only way to use throttle, without a work around, was on a switch, in glider mode.

Agreed. It sounds to me that Billy Boy in the US doesn't have the faintest idea what he's talking about.

Ro.

I'm becoming a little peed off with the system.
yeah it's good for the money, but you can't bring everything back and excuse it because it is cheap to buy the tx.
The telemetry system for me is very disappointing as you need to install a sensor station in each model - this is about 37mm long - no room for this in a skinny glider fuse. And there are more than one type of station (it also requires to wires from the RX).
The programming is decent (for the money!), but I will be looking at the new jeti once it comes out. Or if there is a new offering from multiplex.
I don't think having proportional control over both throttle and crow off the same stick is that much of a big ask tbh.

the screen shots in the link i posted earlier show how to do it ,start with a fresh memory ,it just took me 5 mins to do the key is flight conditions and the order you set them up in.

Its actually quite simple once you see how it works and only needs a flick of the switch to change the left stick from thottle to crow and vice versa.

Flight conditions work for helis too and i hope will explain how to setup for gliders. When using flight condition’s to setup a heli you would have :

normal mode(throttle and pitch go up together) at position 1 in the flight condition list not assign to any switch.

idle up 1(throttle set at constant %)pitch controlled by throttle stick but motor speed constant. Set this at postion1 on 3 way switch. This at position 2 in the flight condition list

Idle up 2(throttle set higher than idle up 1)put this on same switch as idle up 1 set at position 2 . position 3 in the flight condition list

Hold (cuts throttle to zero motor speed ) pitch still works by throttle stick.position4 in flight condition list on separate switch

so Hold being no 4 in the list would over ride all other flight conditions when its switch is active.

How’s this relate to gliders your saying?

if you setup normal for motor to work on j3 throttle stick ,then set position 2 in the flight condition list to crow on j3 and throttle hold on (motor off)
So just by flicking the switch assign to flight contition 2 it overides normal mode kills the thottle and crow will work on thottle stick (remeber to have your left stick in postion so that crow doesnt come full on when you flick the switch

Hope this explains the flight conditions the basic programing is in the link

As note to above when setting up flight conditions you need to make sure you set mixes up with either a single(s) only works in the flight contion selected or conbined (c) works in all flight contions
On helifreak webstie finless bob does sevaral great videos explaining all this stuff and shows you on camera how its done and all the tricks .ar easier than trying to explain it in text.
dont give up on the radio guys your be surprised how good it really is when youve learnt how flight contions can work for you

Edited By Austenrover on 17/01/2012 18:06:29

Edited By Austenrover on 17/01/2012 18:07:02