Miles Mohawk

I've been pondering drawing up a sports-scale aircraft for a while now, Tims excellent article a few months back doing nothing to dampen my appetite!

This has only ever been a on/off idle thought really, figuring I had plenty to keep me busy, I wasn't actively seeking out a subject. Until that is, I took my son to Hendon over the xmas break and I discovered the little Miles Mohawk in the original fetching black and orange scheme.

Having not done this sort of thing before I'm thinking the shape probably lends itself quite well, the wings aren't tapered too much, the area of the flying surfaces seem sane and the nose isn't short enough to make balancing awkward.

That was simple then, a subject found me!

I've found the 3 view which is shown below, I think this is sufficient to draw up a plan. Next I got to thinking about sizes, now this being my first own design I figured the less unknowns the better so I have decided to pick the same power train as Tim used in the Courier and aiming for a similar style of construction hopefully my AUW would turn out similar.

This is where I'd like some advice please, if I'm using the same power plant, is it more important to get the span similar, or the wing area? I see the Courier came out at 56" and 415 sq inches. The wing on the Mohawk isn't as sharply tapered so the wing area is greater for a given span. My maths shows that 1/8 gives approximately the same area, but 1/7 gives a closer span but with 508 sq inches. Am I worrying about small details? Should I just pick one and get on with it?!

Tom, I wouldn't hold your breath on this one, its early days yet!

Alan, yes I believe he commissioned it from Miles for his own use, the RAF Museum have a interesting document here detailing it's history.