Fuel consumption

Something that seems to be in short supply in the model world is the fuel consumption figures for glow engines. Nowhere can I find any oz/minute ( or should that be minutes/oz ) data. That is assuming a correctly adjusted engine on a standard ( manufacturers recommended ) prop, going flat out for the duration.

Does anyone have or knows where to find any information on this subject.

I am in the process of building two models, one from plan and one from an ARTF kit and would like to size the tanks appropriately for the engines that I am going to use, or at least have some idea as to how long it is safe to stay airborn without going deadstick The two engines I have in mind are OS56a and OS46LA.

Any info much appreciated. 

Advert

Hi officer Kite, maybe if we all say what engines we have and how much they use you can draw up a chart. I have an sc52 and it uses about a gallon every 3 months.

Ha Ha, no seriously you just have to count the amount of turns you crank into the tank then fly for a couple of minutes. When you land fill the tank back up counting the turns as you do and work out how many minutes per turn or turns per minute you get per tank.

It would be impossible to calculate fuel consumption for a particular engine because we all fit them into different models with different drag characteristics and use different props and fly at different speeds.  Hope this helped.  Oh and welcome to the site.  Al

At a guess the tanks supplied in ARTF will usually give about 15mins flying on the recommended engine size - without full bore all the time ( can never understand why people do this as realistic flight calls for intelligent use of throttle ).

Other than that, I always fit the biggest tank I can squeeze in

I think that the biggest variable is the amount of throttle you use each flight. Will all flights be the same?

I would put a measured amount into the tank as suggested and fly your normal flying style for a given time and then measure how much you have used. It would also depend on the type of aircraft being flown - scale you are unlikely to use full throttle much, amounts of drag etc. A slick delta job is probably designed to be flown flat out so same engine in each model is likely to give different results. The only way to get comparative figures would be on a bench run I would have thought and I am not sure that will help much in the air.

Mike