At Last The Build Begins

Hi all,

after much decorating, fitting a new bathroom, going offshore to work and sorting out my workshop I can actually start my build og the Ben Buckle 4 Ch Super 60. Chris and Andy have done excellent build threads so this will not be an indepth build blog, and I will be unashamedly copying some of Chris and Andy's idea's and methods.

This will be an electric conversion so for those that are interested I will be utilising

PPO-3542-1000 motor

PP-70A esc

13 x 8 prop

PPL-30C 3S-4500 lipo

this set-up I have copied from a customer of www.4-Max.co.uk

a copy of the plan on the board.

The original plan pinned to the wall.

That's a lot of Balsa.

This last picture shows the tailplane glued up and pinned to the board, so while the glue goes off I started to solder some EC3 connectors to the Lipo and ESC, not my fav job as I normally end up burning my fingers and yes I did so again this time.

I have to say that even though I have not got much cut and glued, I am thoroughly enjoying this, there is something satisfying in following a plan and getting a product that you have built yourself.

Tony

Hope you don't mind Tony but I've moved your thread into the Build Blog section....it seemed more appropriatewink 2

A good tip when soldering connectors is to use a mated pair when soldering...this does two things....1) the mating contacts act as a heatsink & prevent the contacts beeing soldered from getting too hot & melting the connector body... 2) if the connector body does start to melt the mating half will keep everything aligned as it cools down.....thumbs up

Hi Steve,

thanks for moving the thread.

As for the connectors, that is why I have changed over to EC3's, the gold male and female bullits are soldered out of the surrounding body and once soldered they snap into an internal recess, I have melted the bodies of many Deans and XT connectors, these EC3's are much simpler to solder but that still does not stop me burning myself embarrassed I really must get a better stand instead of trying to catch a hot iron as it's falling to the floor !!!!!

All my electrics are now soldered up with EC3's as appropriate, lipo balance charged, tomorrow will solder EC3's to a fancy new wattmeter/tacho/servo tester and make up a rig to test run the motor and get some readings.

I have been studying the plans and think I have come up with a solution on where and how to locate the lipo in the Super 60 and where to form the access hatch to be able to get at it without removing the wing, so more tomorrow.

Tony

Hello Tony.

a pic of mine I built.

Has a 26 year old OS 48 surpass in it, and it flies beautiful.

Modified to have a bolt on wing as it is more practical, two mini servos in the wings for the ailerons, HS 65's.

Darryl

Hi Tony,

I will be watching your blog with interest. I bought my (3 channel) S60 for the vintage build, but started on my Windy Ain't It first. So I have not got around to starting it yet. With this very wet April, Windy still awaits her maiden. I am off to Corfu on Friday (very a.m.) to hone my skills, and, boy, do they need honing. Meanwhile, I have been putting finishing touches to my 1&1/3 Webbit. I shan;t quite get her airworthy before I go away but it wont be long. I hope to do a short blog.

Alan

Hi all,

Djay that is a good colour scheme, not decided on the colours for mine yet but will be using Solartex as that has the linen look suitable for a vintage build, heavier than Solarfilm but apparently stronger.

So today has been spent soldering more EC3's onto lipo's and my fancy wattmeter, then starting the fin after removing the tailplane from the plan.

The tailplane will be bolted on instead of the rubber bands, so the center section has been filled with 1/4 sheet. Whilst waiting for the glue to go off on the fin, I rigged up the motor for a test but could not get the orange rx to bind with my tx so I stole a Spectrum AR7000 which I had earmarked for one of my heli's and had no probs with binding.

I ran the motor with the wattmeter inline and using a 2200mAh lipo got the following readings

At 50% throttle 180W, 3600 RPM and 0.52kg (1.14lb) thrust generated.

At 100% throttle 490W, 4890 RPM and 0.96kg(2.11lb) thrust generated.

I then changed over to the 4500mAh lipo that will be the flight pack that I will be using and got roughly the same readings so aiming for just over the 5lb AUW on completion that will be just under 100W per lb which should be more than ample. I let the motor run for 10 mins, and on completion the Lipo was luke warm, the esc was warm but not hot, and the same for the motor so happy with the set up, I then connected the lipo to my charger and it only needed to put 2002mA back in the pack so it looks as if I could get a good 15 to 20 mins of flight time.

The last thing for today was to assemble my Slec fuse jig as that is the next thing on the board.

I may be lucky enough to get some more done tomorrow morning but in the afternoon I have to travel up to Aberdeen for a meeting on Fri so will not be able to make much more progress till Sat.

Tony

Hi all,

after getting back from Aberdeen I started on the fuse sides.

The sides are both constructed on top of each other, I did the lower side, waited an hour or so then the top side, hopefully they will not stick to each other too much,

All the little angles for the diagonals were sanded to shape with this little bench sander.

This was an aniversary present from the wife and it has has a good workout so far.

Sadly this is the last update for a while, this afternoon I am off to Bristol ready for a stupid o'clock flight tomorrow morning over to Norway to meet my ship and then bobbing around the North Sea for four weeks whilst we attempt to do some modifications to an oil rig.

Speak to you all again in a month

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

back from the North Sea and able to get some more work done.

This is a section of TE stock, as I am going to bolt the wing instead of bands, I have fitted this TE so that the bolts will go through and tighten up parallel.

All cross members glued in, and when the glue has gone off I can release from the jig and see if I have built a banana.

Tony

Some more work done,

nearly completed.jpg

the fuse out of the jig and nice and straight, some rough shaping done to the front end. the motor has been trial fitted and the mounting position marked.

wing panels.jpg

A completed wing panel (except for the shear webs) at the back and the next one on the board.

servo mount.jpg

showing the ply sandwich for one of the aileron servo's.

center panel.jpg

the center panel with the sections of TE stock added for bolting the completed wing.

More photo's to follow.

Tony

Hi all,

progressing well, the wing panels are now joined, top sheeting completed except for the center section and capping strips added.

002.jpg

tailplane and elevator covered in solartex.

003.jpg

the center strip of the elevator has been left uncovered as it's the glueing surface.

Fin and rudder covered.

004.jpg

OK so it's all been flat surfaces so far, but I am pleased how well this solartex is going on as it is the first time I have used it.

More soon

Tony

Finaly finished the wing sheeting top and bottom and started to get the Solartex on.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Battery box epoxied in, and battery access hatch made.

004.jpg

Will need to go to my LMS tomorrow to get some more of the vintage linen Solartex, I have enough of the dark green but have run out of the cream.

Next up is to finish the infill panels on the fuse, and complete the servo pushrods.

Tony

So now the wing covering is completed.

001.jpg

Starting to look like a Super 60 now.

002.jpg

The AUW with all the bits added except for a tail wheel which I am waiting on comes out at 4lb 10oz so once the fuse is covered I should be around my target weight of 5 1/2 lb, this is not bad considering I am using two aileron servo's instead of one, a home made battery box and hatch plus some extra TE stock in the wing center panel and under the wing seat.

I have programmed my Tx for flaperons to give me aileron differential and programmed the flap settings although it should not need flaps the facility is there so why not have a bit of fun.

Tony

Hi all,

well we are nearly there with the build, the main wing is completed and the ailerons hinges glued in place.

002.jpg

The fuse is covered both sides and the bottom.

001.jpg

Atail wheel added.

003.jpg

This is sold as a steerable tail wheel but I have left it as a swivel but with a small spring added to the shaft to take some of the shock loads.

The rudder and elevator pushrods are made up and fitted, the window surrounds painted and the first coat on the motor bay and hatch.

So only the top fuse covering to go on, fit the fin and complete the painting, a final check on the radio installation then check and adjust the c of g as required. Sadly that will have to wait as my leave period has come to an end and it's off to Canada for a month tomorrow, on the plus side, the weather should have finaly sorted itself out by the time I get home again.

Tony