Fournier & Solange

This is how I'm securing the ballast shots in the tube. I've never seen a ballast tube in the flesh so I have no idea how this is usually done but I'm confident my system will work just fine. It's bascially a shoot bolt with an elastic band to keep the bolt latch in place.

shoot bolt

secured shoot bolt

Edited By FWAL on 27/05/2012 11:17:32

Advert

Started sheeting Sol's fuse, and almost finished Fourn's wing.

Vee tail wing bolt

I decided to add some GRP reinforcement to the Vee tail joint as I had some cloth left over from the wing joint, perhaps I should have fitted the dowel which will support the wing bolt first. But as it's a difficult hole to drill without collateral damage to the surrounding balsa I thought the GRP would make the drilling easier.

Fourns wing servo

Above is the Fourn's wing servo looking from the underside. Again I have used some GRP to help strengthen the 1/16 balsa sheet, the servo will be glued direclty to the wing upper skin.

Both gliders are now nearing completion......OK, structural completion!

Sol's fuse is now completely sheeted and semi shaped and both underwing fairings have been made, Sol's was preformed to a degree and the Fourn's was made up from scraps and incorporates what is described on the plans as a 'launching aid' enlightened...I looked hard but couldn't find the landing aid anywhere?

Sol's fuse is taking shape

sols shaped nose

Sol's nose and canopy, 1mm thick ply is glued onto all exposed end grain

sols shaped tail

I've made Sol's subfin is alot narrower than the kits. The nylon M4 wing bolt is holding a shaped piece of balsa in place. Now it will be removed, trimmed and fitted in the Vee tail, again I have used 1mm ply to face the end grain balsa

sols cockpit

plenty of room in the cockpit

This must happen to everyone when fitting the aileron servo, when the control horn is moved to the max it ends up under the wing skin. In this instance I have elongated the aperture in the wing and made a balsa box, I hope it will work out OK

fourn servo horn

fourn servo box

The past week I have been able to cover her and fit the tail. The air intake cowls haven't been fitted yet as I have tried to cover thenm in solar film but to be honest I'm less than happy with the result, They'll probably look OK at 100' up! I will post a photo of the mess soon

fourn covered

I have removed the orange Solafilm from the air cowls and have painted them blue which suits the plane a lot better. This Saturday I hope to have her completely finished and ready for her first test flights.

fourns filmed air cowls.jpg

fourns painted air cowls.jpg

Solange's covering is going well, I'm using Oracover which although similar to Solafilm is probably a better product and easier to use. Here's a snippit of the scheme.

sols decor.jpg

The sharped eyed around here will notice my next build which arrived yesterday thumbs up

Both Fourn and Sol have been covered and I have just finished fitting the controls, ESC so the Fournier so a part from checking the COG she is completely finished. Sometime soon I'll have the Solange finished as well so perhaps Sunday morning I might be chucking her off the local Headland. I must say that as kits go you do get great value for money with the Solange, just look at some of the hardware pack, there are also 8 sleeves provided to act as spacers between the control horn and backing plate to prevent crushing the control surface. Plenty of the parts are preformed and shaped in some instances as well.

sols hardware.jpg

I finished the Solange this afternoon and the conditions would have been perfect for a maiden but a gravy dinner is better! Well not quite but I want to keep in the wifes good books as I'll probably be purchasing a SAS Mamba this week to take on holidays. The small Fox is very slope, wind particular where as I hope the 36" Mamba can be flown in all types of situations.

So back to the Solange, I have followed the designers tip and removed the servo blocks and in lieu used heat shrink instead to join the extension leads

servo exts.jpg

I don't think I have ever fitted wing servo's using the same method in any of my models. Here is the latest method

sols ailn links.jpg

Spot the difference.... OK I have fitted the supplied cover but also packed up the horn to help produce better differential

sols differl.jpg

Solanges shark eye

sols face.jpg

SOLANGE FINI smiley

solange fini.jpg

All balanced she weighs quite a heavy 1,445g (51oz)

Edited By FWAL on 24/06/2012 16:41:28

Edited By FWAL on 24/06/2012 16:43:10

Edited By FWAL on 24/06/2012 16:43:45

Beautiful job on both.

I'm especially grateful for your Solange build log as I've gone and bought one.

It's fantastic value for money as you mention. This will be my 3rd/4th build and feel fairly confident of making a decent job - some of your photos and comments helped with a few 'grey' areas in the instructions.

So when are we going to see some photos of the finished Sol? Did you manage to maiden her today?

*** EDIT ***

Ha - you updated just as I made this post - almost to the minute! Nice work! smiley

Edited By Richard G on 24/06/2012 16:45:00

Thanks Richard

Yes, I have done some editing sorry about that, amongst other mistakes I had put the weight as 14459g D'oh. As long as you don't rush you shouldn't have any problems with the build. Although, I found the spruce longerons come in 2x long lengths and 2x short lengths. I didn't check all the bits that closely before hand so for an hour or two thought I was missing the shorter lengths. Another point I learned the hard way, the elevator/rudder control surface are exactly the right size to use as fuse (nose) sheeting. Find them, label them and put them in a safe place until required wink

For me there are at least a couple of new techniques/ideas involved here.

First is glassing - seem to be good descriptions both in the instructions and here in your log so hoping I should be ok.

The glassing of the wing joiner plate looks like a good tip - wouldn't have thoughts of that.

The ballast tube idea is also new to me.
Do you have any pointers or design refs for that? But really it's just a tube with shiftable lumps of weight to adjust CG.

The shaping of the TE looks a pain but sure I can make a sanding jig for tha
Thanks for the tips FWAL.

*edit*

Oh by the way - what did you use for covering?

Edited By Richard G on 24/06/2012 19:17:57

Hi Richard

Glassing is pretty straight forward espiecaly if you use a spray mount spray adhesive to hold the fibre glass in place whilst wetting out. You only need a light spray and you'd be suprised how well it works.  Another tip is to refrain from flooding the resin on,  use just enough to change the fibre glass from white to clear and give it two coats of resin with a light sand between coats to remove the waxy finish which seems to float to the surface whilst curing.  Now I wish I had also reinforced the internal area where the fuse sides attach to former 1.  I have a gut feeling the nose may split open on a heavy landing.

Now the Solange is completed I don't think it really needs a ballast tube. It's quite a heavy model so if it struggles to penertrate then the wind would have to be so strong that I shouldn't really be attempting to fly a balsa glider! My guess is it should be good up to around 40-45mph.

The size of the supplied trailing edges in my kit were a pain and I didn't appreciate the work that had to be done to fair them into to the wing.

I used Oracover which is a little cheaper than Profilm, not quite so good due to the glue bieng in the pigment layer but easier and probably better than solarfilm. For some reason the Black was much better to use and sticks faster than the Torquoise

Edited By FWAL on 24/06/2012 23:46:03

The conditions were perfect for a maiden this evening. 15-20mph wind direct onto the slope. I self launched and the Solange just climbed and penetrated gently up 15m until I put a bit of down stick on, then I had almost an hour of really enjoyable flying including lots and lots of rolls, loops & bunts. What a fab glider it just flew straight off the work bench no trims were added and the rates and mixes just seemed ideal for the conditions and getting me used to her flying characteristics.

I'm really impressed and looking forward to many happy hours of Solange soaring yes.

solange maiden 1.jpg

Not only did the Sun come out but also the moon for this maiden

solange maiden 2.jpg

Can't wait till next time

The conditions were just right for the Fourniers first flight. A warm afternoon with a 8mph wind blowing directly onto the slope. All pre flight checks completed (inc reversing rudder servo, D'oh) and a gentle throw off the edge (no motor) a little glide out and then I gradually opened the throttle, a few clicks of ail and down elevator trim were required over the next minute or so and then we spent over half an hour just getting to know each other. I rarely had to use the motor as there was just enough lift to drift back and forth along the slope. Bliss.

I did open her up on a couple of occasions and she climbed better than I had imagined. However, as I'm a complete novice when it comes to powered stuff I did find it very difficult to maintain anything that resembled a controlled climb. In fact on a couple of occasions I got pulled right over the top and into a loop (I think I need to adjust the motor angle very slightly). Ordinary loops without the motor were performed really well but I need to work on the rolls, axail they most definietly weren't. Other than that I returned home with a plane in tact so by my book that's a sucessful maiden

face 1 face 1