aerial choice

Weyfly

Whilst cutting a slot for a piece of carbon rod stiffening in a foamie, I lopped the end off a buried aerial on a four channel FRSKY RX, silly sod that I am! I checked the TX/RX setup, the feedback on the telemetry screen says all is well, then I remembered it came with two aerials, a longer one (which I cut) and a shorter one which is intact.

Any comments on the use of the different aerials in a foamie wing?

Edited By Weyfly on 11/06/2012 10:41:12

no, but the longer aerial is a plug in unit, any 2.4 rx aerial from Futaba or Spektrum should work as a replacement. Come to that I've still got a couple of old V8R rx that I killed, you're welcome to one of those aerials.

I still use the older single aerial VR4 in a couple of models and have actually found the limit of range in a small flying wing.

The limit is my eyesight.

easy then, just cut back the outer sheath and screen. The total length of the aerial (exposed + sheathed) isn't critical, just the length of the exposed bit, and even that doesn't seem to be hyper-critical as long as it's within a mm or so.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 12/06/2012 08:13:03

I would have thought so, you would lose the advantage of diversity but I've never had a problem with range on the single aerial 4 chanel V types. I guess the answer is suck it and see, try in range test mode and check from different sides of the plane.

I've just put the 4 chanel D type in the MiniPanic and have no intention of extracting it again to try for myselfface 1 One thing I found with it is that the long aerial is easily knocked off so I put a blob of glue over the the top of the connector to make it a bit more resistant to being disconnected.