450 clone and Aurora 9

Andy Butler

I need some help I think. I have set up a 450 V2 clone on my Aurora 9 with absolutely no problems BUT have run into a problem with the gyro. Iy's only a cheap HK401b jobby but seemed to work fine on my old FF9. The gyro is plugged into channel 4 and the remote gain into channel 5 as per normal. The problem comes when setting the gyro sensitivity in the gyro menu on the A9. I've set up a switch that switches between rate and HH mode but the tail is incredibly twitchy at the stock settings (50% on each). The only way I can tame the tail end and stop it wagging is to have the sensitivity way down at 2-3% in the HH (Tail Lock) mode. I'm still very much a newbie at all this but I was able to hover with my old FF9. Has anybody had a similar problem, and more to the point, how did you resolve it? There is loads of stuff out there but a lot of it is contradictory and leaves me even more confused (which isn't diffcult BTW).

Its tricky as I don't own an Aurora, but some radios use 0-100% to set gains (below 50% is rate, above is HH), it might be that you need to use a negative value to be in one mode or the other. If thats the case, I would have thought a value of around 30-35% would be a good starting point on a 450. You can see if its switching between the modes quite easily as the tail will not return to neutral after you put in an input on the ground (sorry if you kmow all this already, hard to judge just reading an email).

If that doesn't work, let me know and I will try and find out.

Cheers,

Simon

Andy as Simon said, some tx's use a 0 to 100 scale for the gyro gain/mode, so for example with the original Spektrum DX7 rate mode is 0 to 50 and heading hold 50 to 100, whereas, the DX8 uses -100 to 0 and 0 to +100 to give the two gyro modes. With the DX8 and a G401B I find -50 and +50 on the DX8 work well and 35 and 65 on the DX7.

Hope this helps.

One other point is there is a good mod to do on the clone 401's to secure the internal circuit board to the outer case with hot-melt glue, so the sensors on the board track the movements better and it overcomes some vibration induced issues too. Just Google G401B mods to find a link showing how.

Barry

Thanks for the repies guys. You are quite correct in that on my old FF9, anything above 50 switched it into HH mode, and it used to run fine with a gain of about 70%. The A9 is different in that it has a dual mode with both default settings being 50%. I've set up a switch so that it goes from rate to HH (and vice versa) but in HH mode I still get a tail wag at anything above about 5%. The only thing I can think of is that in HH mode, it uses 50% as a starting point and the 0 to 100% sensitivity is in the top 50% of the gain range, if you see what I mean. I guess I'll try it at the current setting and see what occurs and adjust as necessary from there.

hi i have got a aurara 9 and the same gyro ,i found 3% works great if in dual mode on the auroa .dont confuse dual mode and normal mode with heading hold and rate mode.normal mode makes the radios gain work like spekrum radios setup and dual mode makes the gain work more like futaba radios setup in terms of how the percentages work.

for a very clear guide (better than i can explain it here) visit finless bob's tech page at helifreak.com and watch the vids on the auraora 9 .he does a good job of explaining all of the radio features