Wing seat area on fuse

Max Trent

The wing seat area`s on the fuse i am building does not match the wing centre section very well at all,too tight and too big in areas.The same goes with the small doubles,again the profile does not match the fuse even! I can cut knew doubles to match easy enough but i do not know if it will be ok to cut out the fuse wing seat area and inset a new protion of balsa so i can cut the new wing seat.I was thinking just to cut 3 straight edges and glue in.Perhaps cover the join lines with some thin ply/balsa.The kit is a semi scale 45 inch bipe.

Advert

Max

You can always ease the tight bits and the trick with the gaps is to use car body filler.

Cover the centre section with cling film or polythene,apply the body filler to the gaps and then press the wing into place,the excess filler will squeeze out and can be trimmed with a scalpel before it cures,the polythene prevents the filler sticking to the centre section and you end up with a perfect wing seat.

Jim teeth 2

If the gap is less than 2 or 3 mm then the easy answer is to ease the tight spots so that the wing incidence is right - that's your priority - then cover the wing centre section with cling film, slap some structural filler (P38 car body filler, epoxy and micro balloons or similar) onto the wing seat and bolt the wing on checking the incidence again as you tighten the bolts. Wipe off the excess filler that oozes out so it's flush with the fuselage side and once it's set you have a perfect fit on the wing seat.

If it's more than a couple of mm out I'd cut a strip of wood the required thickess to fill the gap and as wide as the fuselage side and doubler combined, and glue that to the cutout in the fuselage, then shape it to fit the wing. You can use this method with gaps down to .5mm. I've had to do that with various models, both built from kits and ARTFs. Come to think of it some plans haven't been that accurate either...

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 06/07/2012 11:01:52