Mini Panic Power Train...

I visited Avicraft yesterday . . . I wanted to look at a Mini Panic, they had a SH one for sale. I like to do things like this, I am very visual when it comes to assesing size, weight etc., and you never know, the built one might be worth a punt?

It was like steping back in time walking into the shop, models hanging from the celling, most 'for sale', assistants helping punters, with their half dissassembeled models being pawed over, explinations absobed. Untidy was first impresion, then the warmth of how it used to be hit me . . . then I spied the Mini Panic . . .

The first thing to stike me . . . it is small, the next thing, weight, there is nothing of it at 650gs complete with servos, ESC, motor, yes, they obligingly put it on the scales. I recon with battery and reciever, it will not be more than 1kg, ready to fly? The ready built was nice enough, but I thought, by the time I had revamped to the way I would want it made it pricy and the motor was IMHO on the small side? . . . so walk away . . .

Well not realy, I bought a kit! . . . So I'm now scratching the 'bi-plane itch' . . . Some advise would be helpfull seeing as the modeling world has moved on during my 17 year off . . . I'm so new to electric, I know very little.

Building aint a problem although you dont get a plan, its a bit of a gigsaw puzzel, in the nicest posible way.

My original thought was to use a Turnigy 3548/4 1100kv, thinking about it, its a bit to big on the power side (amps-watts), although the weight migth help with the very short nose moment of the Mini Panic? So, looking again, something about half the size seems more apropriate . . . the Turnigy 3530/14 1100kv?

I find the way electric motors are ratted so confusingdont know Obviously, it don't have to be Turnigy, Giant Shark have purple OEM (Turnigy?) motors that might fit the bill at consiberable savings? One thought of using a 3 cell 2200 battery, seeing as there are a couple of them to hand. Avicraft recomend 2200 mah, 3 cell, 25'ish (ic equivilent) motor, but its all very vauge, especialy as the large Panic is now sporting 90 - 120 size ic motors, the more power the better it seems?

Any pointer gents . . . any advise would be much apreciated . . . face 1

By the way, this is just an itch scratch, the hunt for a 'proper airplane' larger bipe? as an over winter project is still on . . .

CJS

Edited By Clifford Stone on 10/08/2012 11:29:33

Edited By Clifford Stone on 10/08/2012 11:31:31

Edited By Clifford Stone on 10/08/2012 11:35:02

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 10/08/2012 11:48:31

Advert

There you go Cliff...all done.....

Right Mini Panics.....a few around on here.....type Mini Panic into the search box.....around 300watts seems to put a smile on their faces....obviously you can increase that depending on how much of a hooligan you are.....

I would think biggish prop & low pitch to keep the speed down & the thrust up....around 1100kv & an 11x4 or similar should be good I think.....

I have a Mini Panic on my bench at the moment but its gonna have an ASP32 up front.....yes I am a hooligan.....teeth 2

Posted by Clifford Stone on 10/08/2012 11:28:51:

By the way, this is just an itch scratch, the hunt for a 'proper airplane' larger bipe? as an over winter project is still on . . .

CJS

Sorry, never had a Panic and I don't know much about Leccy stuff. Great plane though, good choice. As for your Winter project, you could go in any direction with two wings. DB Sport and Scale do an excellent range of Scale bipes in different sizes, or you might want a Sport biplane like a Galaxy Domino, now from My Hobby store or a Wots wot. Hope that helps.

CS

Having the choice of a 2815 or a 2412 to hand, I've stuck the smaller motor on mine after the original spat teh dummy and went it's own way in an overgrown field. The choice was really down to what fitted the current bolt holes.

I may change to the larger motor after a test flight this afternoon.

I did put mine on the scales, it's a flabby 1004 gms or 2lb 4oz in real money - without battery! This is after a couple of years worth of repairs though. I could probably shed several ounces by removing uneeded material from the rear fuselage sides and top plus some of the lead currently needed on the nose.

Even at the present weight it still flies ok on 300+ watts, just not as sprightly as when I first built it.

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 10/08/2012 11:53:36:

Right Mini Panics.....a few around on here.....type Mini Panic into the search box.....around 300watts seems to put a smile on their faces....obviously you can increase that depending on how much of a hooligan you are.....

I would think biggish prop & low pitch to keep the speed down & the thrust up....around 1100kv & an 11x4 or similar should be good I think.....

I have a Mini Panic on my bench at the moment but its gonna have an ASP32 up front.....yes I am a hooligan.....teeth 2

About my thinking Steve, cant find the ASP32 listed? . . . probably medont know. Any chance of a link?

CJS

Edited By Clifford Stone on 10/08/2012 13:10:01

Sorry Cliff...should have said...the ASP32 is an IC engine.....embarrassed

Don't worry about the numbers.....nearly all manufacturers use something different......look for a 300-400 watt motor with a 1000-1100kv, run it on a 3S battery with a 40-50A ESC & you'll be fine.....

Uncle Bob Cotsford has joined us now & as Mini Panic Thrasher in Chief teeth 2 I'm sure he will be able to offer some good tips (mines still in bits!!).....

I think I'm right in saying that the MP is often tail heavy so a chunky motor won't be a problem CoG wise....

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 10/08/2012 13:16:08:

Sorry Cliff...should have said...the ASP32 is an IC engine.....embarrassed

Don't worry about the numbers.....nearly all manufacturers use something different......look for a 300-400 watt motor with a 1000-1100kv, run it on a 3S battery with a 40-50A ESC & you'll be fine.....

Uncle Bob Cotsford has joined us now & as Mini Panic Thrasher in Chief teeth 2 I'm sure he will be able to offer some good tips (mines still in bits!!).....

I think I'm right in saying that the MP is often tail heavy so a chunky motor won't be a problem CoG wise....

Whoops, I'd forgoten about ASP being ic, I have a 40 in my shed some where . . . not that I'm sugesting bolting that to the front of an MP . . . devil??? nah . . .

You are right about 'tail heavey' MP. Mine is still in the plastic bags the 'kit' comes in! . . . the tail may yet get a rebuild, curently solid with a couple of holes, I think a couple more stratigic holes at least?

I'm looking at Giant Shark's Purple XYH35-42/1000kv, 35-36/1050kv or the 35-36/1300kv? Erring towards 1000-1050kv? . . . and a big fine pitched prop, she will take up to 12" with ease.

CJS

Edited By Clifford Stone on 10/08/2012 13:46:56

I need the bigger motor. The nearest sized prop in the flight box was a 9*7, which was drawing 45A through the 2814-06 on a fresh 3s 2200. Poor ickle motor is rated at 15-25Ablush. It didn't actually melt at 500W for short bursts mind.

Anyway, PorkerPanic chugs around quite happily on 300W or thereabouts (a guess, just over 1/2 throttle which was 25A-ish on the meter). Bigger loops and verticals really need that little extra something though.

Full throttle took it vertical until I chickened out. More than enough power and then some. I used to get around 8 minutes mixed flying with the old motor driving a 10*4, this time I got caught short at 6 minutes and landed in the long grass. I'll be looking for 35-40A max to give a reasonable balance of fun and duration so I'm going to try fitting the 2815 and something like an 11*6 or 5.

Maybe that needed soft-start:

whoops!.jpg

I think all the arrivals over the years have caught up with it, This is what happened trying a power check with the 2815 920kv driving an 11*7. I didn't even get time to see what the current was, instant re-kitting. I suspect the supplied prop driver collet slipped and took the front off as it left the building. It wasn't vibrating before it gave way.