My Discovery remains undiscovered...

daba

...my Discovery got into trouble weekend before last, see-sawing and the like, it was horrible to watch, and I just couldn't bring her back to the flying site. Even when she was facing me and I got (some sort of) level flight (ugly it was), even on full power she was getting further away.

I was losing sight of her (a small hill between me and where she was), so decided the best option was to cut the power and let her get down ungraciously (aka "ditch", otherwise I wouldn't have a clue as to her whereabouts.

Well when I went off to look for her, little did I know the "Coppice" was more like the Amazon Rain Forest.!! Judging by the denseness of the trees, I doubt she made it to the ground, and is stuck aloft. Me and some mates have been to look a couple of times, but without a closer idea of where she "landed", it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I put posters around the area (it's a place where lot's of people pursue all sorts of recreational activities, dog-walkers, ramblers, walkers, joggers, cycliists, even doggers !!), and was hoping that someone might have seen or heard her "battery low" cry... but no response from those.

I even asked a local microlight club for members to take a look if they cared to, and was hoping for a response from that this weekend just gone, but nothing to report yet.

I have since learned that the area can suffer from weird wind conditions, where a gentle calm wind (nothing to speak of) meets another wilder wind coming up the valley that the coppice lines. The result is a messy piece of space to fly in (someone called it a "shear wind", and the discovery being a floaty trainer with a large wing area, was probably grossly under-powered for those conditions.

Still hopeful that one day i'll get a call telling me whereabouts she is, after all I did put up a reward, but now looking to replace her with something else.

Bear in mind that although I flew Discovery about 15 times, I'm still a beginner, but very quickly realised that the Dscovery is a real docile beginners aircraft, I'm looking for something a bit more responsive, but not into aerobatics just yet. Anyone have any suggestions ? I'm thinking a WOT4 ?

Advert

Keep looking! Years ago a friend lost a model in some trees and was unable to find it, then a few months later when all the leafs had fallen off we searched again and the model was easy to spot. Admitedly this was a free flight model so no radio to worry about but the small diesel was found to start easily when cleaned out and re fueled.

Just realised this only applies if the trees are not conniferssad

Hi Daba, do you know anyone who would be willing to put a camera on another aircraft and survey the site for you in order to find your missing plane. I have used a video camera(one of those small compact jos on video mode will suffice, but strap it on well!) stapped to my Gentle Lady powered glider and facing down. Fly over the area where the model was lost and review the video. I have been able to find 3 lost models using this process, including one that was missed by an ultralight pilot who was looking for it!

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 15/08/2012 11:24:17