Glitches when using 35Mhz with electric

Bob Moore

Hi Stephen, I can't easily get to esc or motor wires now unless I do some serious dismantling. Apart from that it's a big chunky esc with a heat sink on top and it does get warm. I don't think it would be good to wrap it up! I've got a leccy Orion glider and have had that thermalling almost out of sight, but no glitches too. And a little Depron Edge that's leccy, no glitches.

Re the Hitec John, I haven't as yet tried the Dual conversion rx, I've been flying the Wot4 with Hitec 06MG single conversion rx. Someone said further back that they only use dual conversion and I'm hoping that this will solve the problem. I guess you missed my post about the fault happening when using an external NiMh pack too when you cross posted? That rules out dodgy connections or esc I'd say.

Just to make it clear though, my problem is just occasional rudder or aileron twitches when in flight. And even then, they are only very occasional. There's a possibilty that apart from onboard interference, it may be something to do with my flying site. It's on top of a hill and a lot of people get glitches in certain places. (Between the strip and an old windmill we can see far off in the distance is one spot.) Maybe microwave links or some other radio interference beam.

I'll see how it goes with the dual conversion receiver. Testing inside my house walking the length of it 15 metres with the tx aerial completely retracted even putting the tx in the stainless steel sink and point the antenna stub at the model it didn't lose the signal or glitch. Seems encouraging!

Oh well, after half a bottle of wine I just plugged in the rx board again on the bench with an external battery pack and a couple of servos to see if it would work. Nada. Then I got hold of the small board and gave a little twisting pressure (I'm talking very little) and lo and behold it sprung into life. I'm not talking tweaking the power lead, as I'd say indications were that there was power to the board, I'm just talking gentle pressure of the board. I tried prodding and poking compontents but to no avail. (I should have mentioned, years ago I did a 10 month full time C and G (anyone remember City and Guilds exams?) in Electronic Servicing - Fault Finding) With such small coments a poor joint would be very difficult to spot.

This makes me suspect even more that there's a poor solder joint somewhere. Looking with a big magnifying glass isn't good enough, it would need a microscope (which I don't have) and even then, if I could see a suspect joint I can't solder micro components. At least I've satisfied my curiosity?

It's working now (at the moment anyway) and the thought crossed my mind to encapsulate it in resin. But I'd still never trust it.

I did encapsulate it dont know and it appears to work every time I plug it up now! I kept it attached to a battery and servo as I epoxied and kept wiggling the the stick and even as the 5 minute epoxy was going off it stopped working. I frantically pressured board (with sticky fingers) till it worked again and fortunately the epoxy went off with it still working!

Not sure I'd trust it in an important model, though I might try it in something cheapo.

img_1832.jpg

img_1833.jpg