Motor mounts

Having flown ic planes, Im familiar with the usual mounts for ic engines.

I've noticed a lot of brushless motors come with a metal 'cross' type fixing plate which I assume you fix to the engine compartment bulkhead and then attach the motor to it (or is it the other way around!?)

I've also seen some 'stick' type mounts that have a round disc attached to one end. How do these work? Again, I assume the motor is fixed to the round disc and then the stick is attached to the engine bulkhead but how's this done? Is it just a question of cutting a square hole for the stick then gluing in place! Seems a very dodgey idea to me if it is or is there some other bracket you need to fix the 'stick' end of the mount to the bulkhead?

Advert

Hi Piper Cub  

Motor mounts vary with the manufacturer or the type of motor, and the motors can be mounted from the front or the rear of the bulkhead, depending on the model setup.

The stick mounts are very easy to use but generally are used on "foamies" or motors with power at the lower end of the scale, and nearly always with a gearbox. The motors have a special bracket that slides onto the stick, then held with a couple of wood screws.

This method is well and truly tested and very successful. but they are also quite difficult to replace if broken

regards   Helidel