How hard to build?

Dean

Hi all TN builders

So far my build experience is: I have built two models from kits, I am not far off finishing a Kamco Kavalier built from plans and have just started a Flair Pupeteer.

Tony Nijhuis has some great models,In perticular I really like the Lancaster and wellington . How hard are Tonys models to build from plans? I will buy at least the cnc pack.

Advert

I built the 62 inch TN Spitfire as my second main build, my first being a SLEC Funfly. I've also built his 46 inch mosquito. I would say that neither was that difficult. I would say that a major advantage in a build is knowing that there is a good build log available on a site like this one, along with 'live' forum members who are able to offer help and advice.

For example, the main challenge with the Spitfire is that there are a few errors on the plan which will have been picked up on a build log, but which might throw an inexperienced builder. For example on the Spitfire plan there is a note which if followed will give the builder L thrust rather than right. It's a simple mistake, and has been spotted by previous builders.

i have to say that Tony's designs also have a reputation of flying very well, and my Spitfire is no exception.

I'm fairly familiar with plans, so that helps. I also try to think through each stage and make sure I understand what is going on before I apply glue!

There is plenty of information on the web about the Lysander. The Harvard is new, so there's no build log yet. I'd expect to see one in the next couple of weeks.

I'd encourage you to have a go at one. I found the Spit a very satisfying build.

Thanks graham

There does seem to have been quite a few people that have built the lysander on here so lots of info on them, and plenty of help for me.

May try one of these as my next plan build when the Kavalier is done.

Hi Dean.

I have built the small Lanc, Lysander, Typhoon and Hurricane.

They all have similar construction techniques, which are simple and effective.

there is a little headscratching required, but this is true of any build.

The secret is to keep the rear end as light as possible without deviating to much from the plan.

All the models fly superbly

I am just awaiting the 1/4 scale Hurricane he wil be releasing shortly.

Darryl

• 1 month later...