Battery Packs

A perennial problem with electric aircraft I always have is how to secure the battery. Since you have to take the thing out frequently for charging/replacement the method used needs to be quick & tool free.

I've nearly always used velcro as this seems fine for the small models I fly. I do worry about the glue softening when the pack gets warm etc & whilst the smaller packs don't weigh much if you give your airplane a good seeing to (strictly in the aerobatic sense) then the G forces will magnify this weight greatly.

In addition the pack needs to be securely held in the event (certainty??) of a mishap to prevent it colliding with the back of the motor or whatever & potentially shorting out with disasterous consequences....(just slightly off topic but interesting nonetheless, have you seen those "cords" Motors & Rotors offer for fire prevention......stick 'em in yer fuselage..if the temp gets over 100C they release (I assume...) something like Halon gas to make the air inert & put the flames out...how good is that!!!!)

So, not much to ask then......

On your marks then fellow forum-ites, what methods/tricks/voodoo do you use for securing yer batteries???

Advert

Green thread through velcro straps ( B+Q ) firmly anchored through slots in a ply plate or similar...depending on the model weight etc.

I NEVER just stick them by using velcro pads on the battery and the hooky bits in the model - except for very lightweight funfly type things.

Picture shows the gizmos also in use to hold ballast on my sloper - sorry its dirty, just got back from the Orme !

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/loop.jpg

On my Sabre, I also use the velcro strap method - ( home made version ) - but have attached a small extended strip of liteply with a raised lip on the end, to the battery mounting tray which allows me to slide the particular packs I use ( 1200 F/P EVO 20 ) up towards the nose a little further to get the COG spot on.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/ext.jpg

The battery has a small piece of notched plastic card attached to the "front" which engages with said lip.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/batttab.jpg

A further small piece of balsa at the "back" ensures a snug fit against a ply block I fixed tothe tray - I REALLY dont want this battery moving even a fraction during this bird's flight

Works well .   As they say....a picture tells a thousand words.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/rear.jpg

Well I think it should be possible to epoxy /PU a ply plate upright into the "floor" right in front of the pack. Do similar at the rear - where that wadge of foam is. Then cut a slot in the top of said plates, and thread one of the gizmos I show in my picture above from front to back, or simply some elastic etc, the plates will stop the battery moving anyway.

Whilst your in there, get rid of that awful Tamiya connector, and replace it with something better.

Those godawful things are only fit for surface vehicles

If thats the case, you could try the suggestions made HERE by an expert in gluing, who says it could be glued if the surface is properly primed first, or just do as Jet says

There arent too many "problems" in our hobby which cant be sorted over a nice cup of coffee and a sticky bun -... only ones which "stick" of course