Habu 2 or Tomahawk Viper Jet edf

flyeruk

Glad to see you got to grips with the decals, the Viper's looking really sharp now!

I haven't decided on a colour scheme for mine yet, but I do have a few ideas.

Re. the dirt; I always cover the bottom of my belly landing foamies with clear Fablon because it's cheap, easy to apply with a covering iron (on a low heat setting) and protects the foam from the ingress of dirt whilst giving extra localised strength.

Advert

I also have my edfs covered on the bottom. I have used the reinforced packing tape which seems to give good protection. Only problem is all the splashes that get on the underside of the wings etc.Although i wipe them down as soon as i pick them up,they still seem to get a bit grubby.

Im looking for another bit of advice. I am toying with the idea of flying the Viper on 5s. The reasons behind this are as follows. I already have 6 x 3700 5s 35c lipos.I use these to fly my Dynam Meteor.I also have 5 2200 4s,6 2200 3s and 3 3300 4s . I really didnt want to have to buy yet another size lipo. The Viper is fitted with the motor,fan from the Habu.I could fit an 80a esc and the motor/fan combo would be okay on 5s. The overall weight of the Viper,with a 3300 4s is 1210g. With the 3700 5s,it comes out at 1300g Can anybody see any reason not to fly the Viper on 5s?

Not yet flown the Viper. I took the Stinger for a blast yesterday,4 flights but by the last flight i couldnt feel my fingers. I thought it was going in on the last flight as my eyes started to water with the wind and cold,couldnt wipe my eyes and was seeing double so got her down quickly and headed back to the car.

Bill,can i ask you what throws you are going to use as it only gives it in degrees in the setup instructions. I have also just gone for the 4s set up.I will be using some Zippy compact 3300 35c 4s from HK.

meteor.jpg

I know this is not a Tomahawk Viper Jet,this is my Dynam Meteor. I had purchased the Multiplex primer,paint and varnish for the Viper but thought i would try it on the Meteor first as it was looking a bit tatty.I removed the paint using duct tape,lifted the original paint really well. Themn wiped the Multiplex primer over the fuse with a piece of foam. It feels sticky when it first goes on but after about ten minutes it drys non sticky. I then masked up the plane and gave it a couple of coats of Multiplex yellow.It seems to have covered very well. I still have to do the canopy,this is going to be black with smoked glass.

Overall,im really pleased with the result. I still need to add a couple of black strips to finish it off. Im going to leave it for a couple of days to dry properly then give it a coat of Multiplex silk matt.

Also,a thanks to Bill for the info on the control throws for the Viper Jet.

As to the Viper Jet progress,i have had to remove one of the elevator servos as it packed up on me. Hell of a job as the whole tail assembley is glued on. I had to use a very thin blade to cut through the glue to remove the servo. Hopefully,it will be all back together in the next week,then just wait for the nice weather,when ever that might be.

Edited By flyeruk on 03/03/2013 18:00:10

Hmm, glad I'm not the only one who's indecisive about colour schemes! I've started decorating mine today, but not with the supplied decals, with Fablon and Solartrim instead. I should hopefully finish it off tomorrow and should be able to post a pic or two.

The Viperjet is now covered and my scheme is mainly copied from James Bond's Acrostar (Bede 5-J) in the film Octopussy as it's easy to replicate and looks nice and clean to my eye. The chrome squares on the fin were a trial to do as they had to match perfectly on both sides. Don't think I'll do that again!

Staufenbiel viperjet

• 2 weeks later...

Today,i maidened the Viper Jet. In the end,i used the Dymond 69/Himax fan and motor unit that i purchased with the Viper.I also was using New Zippy compact 3300 4s 35C from HK.
The wind was very low when i got to the field,no more than 3 mph and at times,virtually no wind at all. This did make be a bit unsure about the maiden but i thought i would go for it anyway.I also decided that i was going to underhand launch,as i always launch my other models this way.
I feel i have more control over the throw launching this way.I added a couple of bits of grit paper around the c.o.g to give my fingers some grip. I set the timer for 3.5 minutes. Full throttle and a firm smooth push forward and away she went. There was virtually no dip as she went away from my hand,and climbed very smoothly upward. Took her into the first turn and she really felt good. A couple of circuits around the field,half throttle just to get the feel of her and trim out. She needed a couple of clicks of up and was then flying,straight and level.
Open the throttle and she responded nearly instantly with a real turn of speed.The sound of the fan was very good,it just didnt sound like an edf.
I did a few more circuits until the timer bleeped at me,then brought her round into land. I will say,probably because of hardly any wind,she did come in really fast but landed smoothly with a long slide.
What can i say,this foamy jet is in another class. There was anther flyer at the field,in fact,he is in the UK gliding team,said the Jet looked really locked in and was very suprised when i told him it was a maiden flight.
I checked the lipo and was getting readings around 3.87 per cell after 3.5 minutes so pleased with that.
All the worry about lack of thrust was unfounded as she went away from me so easily and in nearly no wind.I can only say,this is a fantastic Jet and so pleased i purchased it.

• 4 weeks later...