Getting an Autogyro flying

Tom Wright  2

Advert

Posted by scott finnie on 18/11/2012 23:43:38:

I wish i never started to read this but i now want to build a crane fly mk2, always been very interested in gyros and its time to have a go, will have a good proper look over everything before i start though, got too many half finished projects sitting around....

Scott

Hi Scott.

Thanks for posting, when you're ready, just give me a shout to get the condensed build blog, it's much more convenient to use and is page indexed.

Tom.

Posted by Tom Wright 2 on 19/11/2012 01:11:00:
Posted by scott finnie on 18/11/2012 23:43:38:

I wish i never started to read this but i now want to build a crane fly mk2, always been very interested in gyros and its time to have a go, will have a good proper look over everything before i start though, got too many half finished projects sitting around....

Scott

Hi Scott.

Thanks for posting, when you're ready, just give me a shout to get the condensed build blog, it's much more convenient to use and is page indexed.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

That sound perfect, yes i will do just that, going to clear some room in the workshop, whats the power set-up requirements? will see if i have anything sitting around. Just bought lots in the last few days so will be limited on funds till after xmas, if you could send me a list/inventory of what i'll need then i'll have a good idea if i enough here to build one, im just that fascinated when it comes to gyros, whilst microlighting Perth to East fortune i was climbing to 5,000ft over the forth when this bright yellow gyrocopter flew around 500ft below, from the moment i was hooked, amzaing aircraft that they are,

regards,

Scott

Bob.

You suggest in the post above that you have no previous rc flying experience, if this is the case and without wanting to put a damper on your rapid build progress, or enthusiasm , it must be said that attempting to fly a fixed wing or Autogyro would be most inadvisable without first learning to fly at a BMFA recognised club ,or at least getting BMFA insurance, and help from a suitably experienced pilot .

Autogyros are generally only suitable for intermediate or B cert pilots and cannot be recommended as a first rc model, as most would destroy it within seconds.

Your builds look to be coming on really well ,thanks for the photos thumbs up,so do tell us more as there is loads of help and information available through this forum.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 19/11/2012 01:41:23

Tom i had a look at a few of you're photos, is the head buyable or a self made unit? It looks easy enough to make that unit up of what i have sitting around, i have a lathe and all sorts hidden in here, after watching some Bill Pettit videos on youtube i'm begining to understand the concept on how to fly gyros and was amazed at how robust his seemed after a few meetings with the ground, im guessing now that motor is for forward thrust and head forward, left, right pitch? with forward motion the tail will yaw itself? It really fascinate's me , i'll sell the raptor 90 and trex 500 and happily live with the gyro,

Looking forward to this project,

Scott

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the kind words and the advice regarding training. I have two clubs within 20 minutes of my home so will be researching them soon and seeing what sort of reception that they give to newbies. I know that one club has a few training aircraft. Also have a friend who is quite experienced.

Regards

Bob

Hi Scott.

The head we are now using is here although I have suggested several ways of building one from scratch in the condensed build blog .Rich has made a similar head from alloy ,will try and add a link on an edit.

Tom.

Edit...... HERE is the link to Rich's control head.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 19/11/2012 13:43:07

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 19/11/2012 13:48:33

• 6 months later...