Nano CPX moves backwards on left yaw input

Eifion Herbert

Hi,

Just been given a blade Nano CPX and while I can now maintain a fairly stable hover for a whole battery and hover the thing around tail-in on cyclic only I've found a slightly odd behaviour.

When I apply left yaw input the heli wants to drive backwards. I've done a few tests where I'm very conciously not applying any cyclic input and I'm pretty sure it's not me sunbconciously applying the input. I used to fly a raptor 30 many years ago - and have had the usual crop of coaxials and an MSR before getting the CPX, so I'm not new to helis or collective pitch, however this is my first flybarless.

Is this behaviour normal in this type of heli? The only thing I can think is when you apply left yaw input the tail thrust from the tail rotor is reduced, so the right-hand lean it has in a normal hover cases it to drift right a litte, which combined with the left yawing results in it coming backwards?

Oh I've got the weighted blades on, as i found it toned the responsiveness down a bit, wonder if that makes a difference.

I mainly fly fixed wing so it might well be that my muscle memory is applying a tiny bit of up elevator on when making rudder inputs, and of course you only need a tiny bit of input with something like this.

Advert

I have not noticed this on my Nano CPX, try getting into a hands off hover (it will do that) and apply rudder while you are not touching anything else.

I will fly my CPX a bit later and have a careful look for this, it may be that I am correcting.

As an aside: The MSRx does this very bad, nose down with right rudder and lots of nose up with left rudder. This appears to be a software glitch as the swash resets to centre and level with any rudder inputs.

Haven't noticed it doing nose down with right rudder, and it doesn't do the nose up on left rudder every time, but often enough to make me wonder if it's something the model is doing rather than somehting I'm doing to it. It may well be insufficient thumb accuracy on my part, as my heli skills are still not up to the point where I can confidently say that the effect is due to a design or setup fault in the model. It may well be my lack of control, it may well be something I will automatically correct for as skill improves, or it may just be that a 29g model flying indoors in close proximity to walls, furtniture etc is going to experience odd gusts and eddys and turbulance. Need to try it in a large sports hall see if it does the same.