A Dedicated Model Plane Foam!!

Chuck Plains

Not available in the uK yet, but here's hoping.

modelplanefoam.com

$50 plus p&p gets 16 sheets of 6mm x 24" x 48" unskinned white foam board. Apparently you can cold form it !! I've seen the video.

A thread on RC Groups

I've had emails back from Mike Spring via their website, and he's just come up with the same best shipping cost that also I found with USPS $57.9

I know $107.90 sounds a lot, but it won't work out too badly, as long as her majesty's customs don't cane us. I'm trying to find out about that a I can find nothing specific to this kind of product relating to import duty. It may be that if orders are actually kept small (under £135 value, or with calculater duty less than £9 (which will be waived)) I'm thinking of emailing them to sound them out for this type of product.

Anyhoo.

I did a bit of comparison research and came up with this little lot.

MPF £81.52 for 16 sheets x6mmx24"x48" skinless =£0.48 per sq ft

Depron £55.39 for 20 sheets x 6mm skinned one side =£0.37 per sq ft

Kilma £27.5 for 8 sheets x 6mm skinned one side =£0.43 per sq ft

foamboardonline £51 for 25 sheets x 5mm paper both sides =£0.49 per sq ft

foamboard.co.uk £31.90 10 shts x 5mm paper both sides =£0.61 per sq ft

greatart.co.uk £43.95 for 20 x 5mm paper both sides =£0.64 per sq ft

Depron is pretty popular to say the least.

I use Kilma myself as I don't shop on line if I can avoid it. So my local Screwfix peeps got it in next day.

foamboard.co.uk have some terrifyingly high prices quoted on their site!!! Who would ever pay that much? They must always have stuff on sale just to get customers!

Greatart gets much better when you go over their post free order level!

mpf_first_shipment_015.jpg

• 1 month later...
Advert

I just came from their website to say that they have come up with an international box . There are min 30 x 8 inch by 48 inch boards in the box, plus extra pieces to complete a tight package. (ooer missus!)

Mind you, it is £59 plus any duty that may or may not be levied at our end. I'll have to wait till the end of the month to see if I can afford to order a box.

Remember, this is unskinned foam than can be cold formed to a much greater degree than anything else. They may be onto a winner.

Customs Duty will not be levied as the value is less than £135, but 20% Import VAT will - plus a handling charge by the carrier. Import VAT is payable on goods worth more than £15.

If it's sent USPS then my GUESS is that it would be delivered by Royal Mail Parcels. If that's the case then the handling charge will be £8.

OOPPSS!!! THE UK SHIPPED SHEETS ARE 40 INCHES LONG NOT 48!!!!!

I just had an email back from Mike Spring swaying, the Intl box weighed in at 4lb 6oz and they haven't had any orders to ship yet. But they're happy to dip their toes in the world water so to speak. thumbs up

Yes, I was figuring something like that John, as I have ordered stuff from the US before. But I'd rather order a box and state the final cost once it arrives. Just so everyone gets to see a definitive cost.

Hmm, does the VAT get added to the shipping as well? It seems to from UK shops.

Edited By Chuck Plains on 12/01/2013 16:43:04