Learing the basics on a E-Flite Blade mSRX

Fingerless

Got a Funcopter a Blade 400 and a Raptor, none i can fly, the Funcopter i can hover a bit, but
it needed a tail fix so been out of it for a while, no club here, we just fly planes at our
club, some did try the Helis but found that every mistake was just a drain on the wallet.

I have a simulator i can use but find it boring so i thought of getting a E-Flite Blade mSRX
for learning a bit of orientation,the Blade 130x looks good as well but mabye a bitadvanced for me
with the Winter on us i could practice on the small Heli before i try the Funcopter again, so any
advice would be great,i never had this trouble with my Planes as the Club helped me, but sadly they
dont fly helis at the Perth Model Club.

Advert

I would avoid the MSRx and look at the Blade Nano CPx.

I have an MSRx and it has a bit of a flaw with the AS3X gyro system that a beginner will have big problems with.

Search YouTube for "MSRx rudder issues" and the first video should show the problem.

In short: The swash position resets to central with the slightest rudder input, so if you are flying forwards with the swash forwards then turn using rudder, the swash pulls back to level and the nose of the heli dives upwards.

I even emailed Horizon Hobby UK about it and the reply I got back was "yes it does do that".

I am sure that with a bit of time you could train your thumbs to cancel this out but a collective pitch heli does not do this with rudder input so not much use as a step up to collective.

Just my 2p's worth

Hi,

I would recommend the Blade 120SR, I spent hours on mine having no heli experience in the past. It's a lovely machine to learn the basics on. I went from the 120 straight to a 450 3D which I've now had countless flights on and am very happy.

I think for a complete beginner the fixed pitch nature of the 120 means one less thing to worry about.

nice and cheap to repair too!

r.

Edited By Robin Kearney on 02/12/2012 21:17:36

Edited By Robin Kearney on 02/12/2012 21:18:07

I got a MSR X bnf only a couple of weeks ago and I love it!! Wolstenflyer isn't wrong about the as3x bugs but there are easily counteracted. For example when using right rudder you will need a little backward elevator and right rudder forward (I think that's the right way round, I just do it instinctively now). If you think how small it is which allows proper 4ch in your living room and how well it flys its a pretty small trade off in my opinion. As I said I've only had it a couple of weeks and I'm throwing the thing around my dining room, I even bought 6 more cells for longer running. I had it outside last weekend and to be honest it was a little windy but it was great fun. Best of all it's tough, very tough to be fair! If I get into trouble I generally just shut of the throttle an go and pick it up and off we go again. There no doubt il be purchasing a bigger say trex 550 next year, but for now the MSRX is great for what I need and £60?? Bargain

Nick

Edited By Nick Williams on 03/12/2012 23:06:20

Glad to see you are having fun. Heli's are very addictive. The Blade 130x is a super stable model for it's size and can be set up softly or aggressive depending on what you want.

One thing I would advise is setting up a throttle hold switch and getting used to flicking that if it all goes wrong. Might not make much difference with something as small as your heli, but trust me, hitting throttle hold on something bigger like a 550 will save you hundreds of pounds.

Cheers,
Simon

I went for the Blade Nano seems quite a sturdy model what i have seen, its CP so will have to take care, you can if you want get training gear for a Micro Heli but difficult to find and about 10 pounds a bit of a rip off, you could make them with straws cheap

If its too much i will get the MSR x one, the Funcopter has been fixed but i will try the nano first be great if i could at least hover it, a bit cold here now for flying, in the cold i was told the blades can shatter with the cold, the Funcopter has plastic blades that would be affected with the low temp.

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/p5037/E-Flite_Blade_Nano_CPX_Helicopter_-_BNF_-_Instock/product_info.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=xigen_shopping_feed&gclid=CJ3GqIyFgLQCFcbLtAod83QA0g

Just to be on the safe side i sent away for a MSR X bnf to try on first if after all this i dont get better i will call it a day with the Helis and stick to the planes, at 60 mabye to old now to learn., mind you when i first flew my Hellcat i never thought i would be able to manage as well as i do now, just lots of practice, the Micro Helis will give me that i hope.

I've got the older MSR, and can fly this confidently around my lounge. I spent some time breaking a T-Rex 450 and lost confidence and sold it. I got the MSR to fly indoors when the weather stopped fixed-wing flying for too long. I can now hover nose-in and fly circuits. If the later model with stabilisation is better, you should have no problems. If it starts going pear-shaped, just chop the throttle. I've not broken mine yet.