Set up for larger models

Been re-egineering an old Mick Reeves 88in Hurricane to electric and found to my cost as the plane gets bigger and heavier the electrics require to be upgraded. I was getting 890watts per lb, which for a 13 lb model doesn't quite cut it!! Right I thought, bigger motor, bigger prop is the order of the day. I had a 100amp esc on it already, so no probs I thought. She ran sweet on 8s only pulling 42 amps with my new motor but it needed more ooomph, stuck 10s on it and then poof!!!!!! that lovely sickly sweet smell of an esc frying. On inspection I couldn't believe how dumb I'd been? Yea it was rated for 100amps but only 2-6 lipos!!! didn't even realize I need a higher voltage ESC. Then I looked at the UBEC and that was only rated for 2-6 lipo's as well! Numpty

Advert

Getting everything mixed up Olly, the model actually weighs 11 lbs 2 oz and it pulled 890 watts. so what's that about 80 watts per lb? I've seen an example set up of 20 x 10 xoar wooden prop, 10s 3000mah pulling 1600w @ 47 amps. which is exactly the same set up I'm going for when I get my new (and considerably more expensive) HV ESC!!