New Shed

Olly P

Right then, All the timber is covered with Tarps, and will be being transported to it's new temporary home in Scotland next weekend. Some of it will be sold off while it is there, and hopefully the profit will cover most of the shed expenses (can't argue with that!).

The next thing is to get the OSB for the floor and roof ordered, along with the felt for the roof. I had considered using this stuff:

**LINK**

but the total cost was just too high. so we are back to the original felt covered OSB. I can always upgrade in a few years.

OK I now need MINIONS to help shift some timber and lift some walls, think I'll be making some phonecalls over the coming week....

Olly

Advert

Hi Michael,

The shed progesses slowly - the next big push is this weekend, with a hope of being finished by sunday night on the frame, exterior cladding etc.

Insulation, power and lighting will hopefully happen by the end of next month....

OSB, Felt and insulation ordered - got a good deal by ordering it all at once from the same place.

Plan is to get at least the frame complete this weekend, but more is all good.

Need to raise some minions to help move timber on Friday night....

Well progress has taken place, timer has been thinned out a little with significant amounts gone north to Scotland ready for sale. Significant amounts have also been consumed in the floor, which is now level to within 7mm over 7m. Not bad going. One more section of the rear wall is part finished, but need more of the 'fabric' layer before cladding and lifting. Photos will go up tomorrow when I have taken them and am on a pc.
Bath for a soak I think.

Yeah - fitter but significantly older after it will be done!

Just about to send SWMBO a shopping list for the bits I need, including the stock codes for screwfix to prevent errors....

No chance to take pics this morning, but will get some when I get home, and upload tomorrow.

Plan is, depending on weather, to pin down the remaining boards of the floor fully (currently tacked in the corners) and then measure up and sketch out next few segments of wall. I then need to raise at least one minion to assist in lifting the large timbers for ripping to size...

Once that is done, the remaining frames should go together quite quickly, especially with the nailgun to assist with cladding.

Well, had just typed a fair bit and then we had a power failure which killed the server.

Attempt 2:

Didn't get a lot done last night as the little lad decided he wanted lots of Daddy time.

Managed to nail down the 2 remaining floor panels, measure the outstanding wall sections and measure and mark the timber to be 'ripped' to size, including which size(s) to rip to.

No minions yet raised for tomorrow night, will be continuing to try and gain some, if not will either 'manage' or finish the panel that still needs cladding. Possibly both if time/weather allows.

Following that on Thursday it all depends on minions. If none raised I might just put the floor paint primer down in one section, let it dry and mover the bits currently sored on the floor onto that section then primer the remainder.

No Photos taken last night - Sorry! I will try and get some in the morning - working late tonight so no light will be available by the time I get home.

Olly

Due to the minion shortage limited change this evening, however the nailgun has been trialled and work greqt for nailing but rubbish at stapling the fabric. Another panel is fully complete and just needs minions to assist with moving materiel out of the way then lifting into place. The next step is to get some timber ripped to size....
Again, minions needed for that.

Right, due to other things very little progress so far. SWMBO has however purchased the floor paint this afternoon from a local discount paint emporium, after doing her 'free taxi' for some friends going to the boardgame convention. As I am away this weekend I am encouraging her to stay and do some gaming, but she doesn't want to with the little lad in tow.

Current plan is now to do some painting on Sunday - This means the large pile of 'stuff' currently leaning against the back wall under the tarp wil be moved to one side (probably the left), then the floor on the right will be painted Sunday PM. once that is dry (Hopefully Monday), the pile wil move to the other side and the left wil be painted. The paint is a light grey - I envisage Battleship Grey type colour.

Wednesday will be one of my asociates, myself and his tablesaw ripping timber to the right cross section, and possibly some cutting to length/frame construction....

First 1/2 floor was painted yeasterday, I will be moving the stuff and painting the other half tonight. The floor looks good!

Hopefully will be ripping some timber Wednesday night. The remainder of the build is then planned for the weekend of 20th.....

A suit? What part of the shed is that? wink 2

I do hope that you're not galivanting around doing things ordinary people do are you Olly? You have to remember, you are an aeromodeller - we are not "ordinary people"!

BEB

PS Or at least that what Mrs BEB tells me! True she usually says it with a slight tone of exasperation I don't understand but she does say it!

BEB - unfotunatly I did do somethin 'normal' people do. hey ho - shed is stalled until monday when my willing assistant/chief minion is free to help me rip timber to size. I will finish painting the floor on Sunday though - only a tiny bit to do, but need to move all the material currently stood on it!

This will allow me to rearrange it all though and give myself a better working area.

• 2 weeks later...

Right.

Floor had 2 coats of paint - and a good thing too.

Then chief minion arrived and we managed to rip all available lumber of the correct thickness to the correct width.

Finally during the weekend just gone:

1) pre-made rearwall section 2 lifted into place and secured

2) rear wall sections 3 and 4 built, lined, clad and installed

3) side wall 'topping' section as item (2)

4) Side wall full height section as per item (2)

4) Long front wall (with windows) laid out cut, assembled and lined, then lifted into place and secured

5) Central dividing wall between store and workshop as per item (4), without lining

That was the state of play at the end of Sat, when I lost both assistants - Dad had to drive back to Scotland, and Will had to cook for his good lady

So, on Sunday, on my own I continued:

1) Buy more 4" nails as we had run out!

2) add missing nails to wall in number (5) above!

3) build front (door) wall of store

4) build 2 different doors - 1 per shed area

5) add liner to wall 5 to ensure continuity with long front wall

6) clad long front wall.

So, that leaves me with a few jobs to do, and only one length of 4x2 left! I have ordered more for the roof beams, to be delivered on Friday.

The remaining jobs, not in any particular order are:

Hang doors

Line and clad door walls

Cut doors out

Cut windows out

Fit window polycarb

Cut roof beams

Fit roofbeams

Fit roofboards

lay roof felt

The shed will then be almost wind/water sealed. more in the next post....

OK, then I will be adding building fabric to the diving wall on the starage shed side - this does 2 things;

Hold insulation in place

Prevents damp to to that wall being warmer than the others.

I will alos be lining the exposed blockwork with building fabric - just be be on the safe side.

The stoarag shed will then be declared ready for use and filled with stuff - probably gardening related.

The work on the main workshop will then continue

Jobs, again in no particular order

Lay armoured cable and connect to 'spare' trip in main box as we no longer have an immersion heater (high priority)

Fit lights so I can see for remaining work if storms turn up or when evenings start to draw in

fit insulation

line walls

panel internal walls with free chipboard

install electrics including mini dist. board (2 circuits only - sockets/machines and lighting, plus RCD)

Fit out - shelving/benches etc.

Finished!

Will be! The photos from last night would have been less than useful as the tarp was pulled accross to give a temporary shelter from the forecast thunderstorms - which have failed to appear!

I will get a few piccies while I measure for the roof beams this evening - that is all that will be happening tonight as I am looking after the little one while my wife has a well earned break at the quilting group for the evening.With any luck he might have a good snooze and I can do the calculations aswell and make up some cutting templates....

Olly

Well, as the little one decided he wanted to be held all night very little chance for photos, and combined with the arrival of the forecastr storms pulling the temporary shelter off, I have not got any photographs.

I will get some photographs when the weather eases - forecast for tomorrow, and post them up - Job one for tomorrow eveing will be phots, job 2 will be try aand remove all the water!