Two good reads

Geoffrey Harris

Dare to be Free by W. B. 'Sandy' Thomas.

After the Germans invaded Crete in 1941 Sandy Thomas was shipped to the Greek mainland as one of their prisoners. Despite being severely wounded in the leg he attempted several escapes, including being carried out of his POW camp in a coffin.

"The Big Show" by Pierre Clostermann.

Drawn from his wartime diary it is a story of how he made it through the war. It contains all the ingredients of the truly great war memoir,wonderfully observed descriptions of wartime Britain, evocative dogfights over occupied France and all the drama of a young man fighting a desperate war thousands of feet above the ground.

These books are published at £7.99 @ £8.99 respectively but I aquired mine from The Book People among a set of 10 for £9.99, a bit of a bargain.

Geoff.

They both look like great reads Geoff, thanks for passing them on. I notice Dare to be Free is on sale on the Amazon marketplace in 'acceptable - used' condition for 1pence + £2.80 P&P!

Mods, would a sticky thread for aviation related good books be welcomed? I know I am often on the look out for a good book.

Update: ok, there is a book club section. Ignore me please, move along there is nothing to see here!

r.

Edited By Robin Kearney on 12/12/2012 13:56:00

• 3 years later...
Posted by Geoffrey Harris on 14/05/2016 19:02:28:

I have just read what i consider to be a well written book and which I found difficult to put down.The title is: A HIGHER CALL ,written Adam Makos, an incredible true story. Has anyone else read this?.

Yes , a very interesting read