Slik Fli

Martyn K

I took advantage of the hobbystores plan offer last week and ordered a Phil Kraft Slik Fli plan at half price.

I think I was ripped off, according to the plan I should have only paid 7'6d nerd

slik-fli.jpg

Anyway, the plan arrived safely yesterday and I have had a good look at it this lunchtime. The original was published in RCM&E in November 1969 - I thought it was a lot later than that but it looks like it will be an interesting build. Also tempted to do a 3/4 reduced size one for a .25 as well - this will be 45" span and I think that my (about to be acquired from Mrs Christmas) OS26 F/S will be a good fit in this.

I was aware that the model had flaps, but I wasn't aware that they were coupled with the elevator - I presume going in the opposite direction like a control liner - anyone comment on that please?

Was there some other magical mixing technique that allowed them to behave conventionally (ie just go down) for landing..?

If anyone wants to know what one looks like. the late ntsmith has a build blog here.

Here is one in flight rescued from google:

slik-fli2.jpg

A very pretty aeroplane for the era.

Another protocol question - do UKCAA build blogs go in this forum?

Best wishes

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 20/12/2012 16:40:13

Advert

• 2 years later...

Martyn,

Here is what Phil had to say about the flaps in his RCM&E article:-

"...the flap coupled with the elevator which had proven so successful on control line models.".

and

""The coupled flaps made the Slik-Fli very impressive in sharp turns and manoeuvres such as square loops. They also seemed to keep the model flying at all times without any tendency to mush through manoeuvres. The big disadvantage was in landing as they caused the model to float almost unbelievably. An electronic switching arrangement was added to the receiver to permit the flaps to be cut in and out at will.".

Cheers