20cc Petrol Engine / 82 dB

Nev Haycox

Advert

I don't know of any, maybe the Saito FG21 on the assumption that its really just a converted 4 stroke and so the noise should be quiter than a 2 stroke to start with. Just Engines do conversions an conversion kits for 4 strokes, you could get an ASP 120 FS converted to petrol. As a start point my normal nitro ASP 91 FS's measured dB at 7m is 71dB.

These however, are rather more expensive that just buying a RCGF, DLE etc 20cc petrol and then getting a proper silencer like this type

Others may know better, but from what i've seen most petrol's come with a silencer that does nothing more than direct gas flow. Of course, the silencer is only one factor in ensuring your set up in the aircraft is less than 82dB. You should also consider:

• a hydro mount/dampened mounting system - similar to that used in Toni Clark kits.
  • foam sound absorption behind the firewall to stop the fuselage (particularly open structures) acting like a drum
  • get rid of any rattles, control rods etc etc.
  • Right prop, not just balanced put a slighter larger prop and lower rpm can give you enough power, but cut down dB quite a bit.
  • use rescue tape to wrap the muffler and stop any tinny sounds as the extracted gasses hit any hard (90 degree) bends.

Hope that helps some. I've been doing the same to fly my 26cc petrol (RCGF with Bisson silencer) in strict dB conditions in Germany.

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 26/12/2012 12:14:37

Not sure. I suspect because theres so many other factors that add to noise, manufacturers don't state dB output for there exhuast, which is frustrating when trying to get a set up.

Can it be done, almost certainly and lots of petrols fly in Germany so must be under 82dB.

Most i've seen have the manifold and cannister type exhaust, HK used to do a 26-30cc canister and manifold for the RCGF 26cc. BTW, the DLE 20 and RCGF 26CC have the same mounting dimensions,so anything for the RCGF26cc will also fit a DLE 20.

This is mine, but I've yet to get it tested.

I'd go for the DLE, and get something like this, which is claimed to be 80dB. Seems expensive but combined cost of this an DLE 20 will be less than a Saito.

If you still need an airframe, this is a good deal for a DLE30 and silencer with 30cc airframe.

Cheers

Chris

The stock silencers on most petrols are nothing more than sound deflectors. If you want to properly silence them, canisters are the way to go. A friend has silenced his dle55 to under 82dB with a good canister.

I would imagine on a 20cc you should be able to do it with the cheap Chinese canisters. don't forget about the canister mounts as they can make a difference.

Si