Mini NYX

Well your really gona have to watch your head now Timbo

My mini NYX is almost ready to go find some air , Just a little more filler work to do ( lite stuff ) Fit the servo's that will be bought and delivered by next weekend then off to go .

As all that know me know I will post a vid as soon as one is done.

Best regards

Lee

Advert

• 7 months later...

Well I finally got some air under he wings today, all I can say is fantastic. If you haven't owned a mouldie then ya better go get one. I haven't stopped grinning.

It all got started when I woke feeling depressed again this morning and decided, right got to go flying.............. Looked at the wind and found 7mph easterly, So put me S15 in the car then looked at the Mini NYX and thought well it's ready to go , There was doubt in my mind because its taken a long time to re-build ( a good friend piled it in when it was his, Long story) anyway so I have waited a long time for this moment , When I got to the slope at long mynd I thought right quick flight with the S15 then on to the nyx. Well after an hour of flying and landing the S15 I finally plucked up the courage to commit the nyx to the air, My heart was pounding with the thought of screwin it up and having to re-do all the work I had done. No such trouble, I threw her into the wind few clicks of down and a couple of left , Then she was flying straight and true, Hmmmm time to try the flaps as thermal setting, ( Its on the throttle for radio reasons, details on request ) She went up like a hot air balloon, Then with some hight I decided to strech her leg a little. Then an almighty screach as she zooomed past going like a scalded cat. OMG this thing is unreal.

I went on to fly a good 30Min's trying allsorts , Cuban 8's loops rolls even a bunt . Then the dangerous bit came along , There is only two bad bits about flying and that's taking off and landing. Now you have to remember at this point I have never 1) Flown a moldie 2) used flaps 3) been so nervous about one of my models.

So I flew a normal circuit around to the left side of ashes hollow and slowed her down as much as I could then deployed the flaps, First thing she did was leap up into the air, Instinct told me to deploy more flaps and slow her right down to almost stopped. This worked to a degree, I had already gone past where I wanted to be and I believe that once you pick a place to land that's where you should land. Flaps back up and out she went again. This time i came around a little further back and knew what to expect,      Slowed her right down, drooped the flaps slowly down to the lowest point, then she just mushed down and softly landed exactly where I wanted her.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j175/ViperTBE/P260908_1518.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j175/ViperTBE/P260908_1517.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j175/ViperTBE/P260908_1603.jpg

Thanks for reading,

Best regards

Lee

Nice. I feel your excitement Lee! I have 2 mouldies to fly but have flown neither yet - I can't wait. One is a Mini Dragon and the other a part-built Prodij

I haven't flown for 15 years though so I'm hanging on until I've found my feet again with my lad's 60 inch Wildthing, which we hope to be maidening tomorrow (Sat) afternoon, wind permitting

Hi Lee,

glad the maiden went well. Andy will be pleased you enjoyed it, i'm sure.

when you say flaps down, I'm looking at your pictures and the plane has a 4 servo wing. which means you can use crow brakes - ailerons up and flaps down. It should make landing very easy.  or is this what you are talking about? if so you need to program in some down elevator compensation to correct the pitch change.

Tom

Hi Tom

I will leave that to the expert's when I am next on the slope's with some, Can't you see the L plates on there

I text Andy as soon as I had landed her the first time to say thanks to him. Need myself a cheap 3m job now the fun can only get better, also looking forward to giving F3F a go with her, It might not be the quickest but I am sure it will be quicker than the S15 was last year

Best regards

Lee

Hi Lee - I will bring me crash helmet then ! Looks nice....really must get m'self a nice slippery fast ship - rather fancy the Jart TBH - know anyone who wants to flog one ready built? - I just cant afford the time to build any more right now, too many in boxes /on bemnch already!!

Slope weather seems to be arriving, VERY gusty today mind - but wind direction and strength is shaping up nicely. Watch your inbox over the next few weeks for the usual "invite" - no good this w/e as we have relatives staying.

• 2 weeks later...