will it fit

Advert

Hmm, heard some rather unfavourable remarks about this one.

Generally GWS stuff flies surprisingly well, but by all accounts this was a bummer. Many people have used a 55mm fan ( GWS EDF55) which apparantley improved thrust considerably.

I dont think it is just a case of the motor being poor, the 50mm fan just doesnt have the poke. Obviously, if you can get the 180mm fans and motors then all the better. The other consideration is whether the 150 fan unit would even take the power increase of the 180 motors  without self destructing!

I see what you mean.If i took off the 180's and put in the EDF55 what else would i have to change.I unstand the battery power but i don't understand speed controlers.If i lost you then try this.Aircraft with 180's take off the motors and put on the EDF55 would i need to change anything else.Sorry, still learning the bits that go with each other and model dealer not helping me much.

Thanks Simon

The ESC is like a switch...rapidly turning full power on /off to the motor from the battery. It is perfectly OK to use a speed controller which is rated for higher current than you are using, but NOT the other way around. THe "size" of ESC will have no real bearing at all on how well your motor performs, this is down to the battery, which must be able to supply the current the motor requires to work at its optimal speed. If the motor is designed for say 3s Lipo battery at 30A, then by using a 4S battery and changing nothing else, the amps will increase, and therefore the watts will increase. However this may push the motor beyond it s specification and burn it out, and the ESC too if not large enough. Simply spinning the fan faster and faster does not mean more thrust, there comes a point when a fan (or prop for that matter) simply cannot produce any more thrust, and the energy is wasted, or things self destruct!

Stick to using the motor the particualr fan was designed for, with the correct battery. If you are not achieveing the performance you want then it probably suggests a better fan /motor combo is required.

As Eric says, you have to think of all the components in an electric powertrain as one properly matched unit.