Bowman Miles Magister

NCHCS

Anyone still flying the 84in span Miles Magister? I have had one built for a few years and just getting around to installing R/C gear. Unfortunately I have misplaced the instructions and I cannot recall the throws for aileron/rudder/elevator, would appreciate some recommendations.

thanks Norman

• 9 months later...
Advert

Hi Norman,

Just found your message from last February. I am still flying my Bowman Magister after some 5 years. Fitted with an O.S. 91 FS Surpass. Although I have located my very faded drawings I cannot find the instructions.

I have my ailerons at about 3/8ths, rudder about 3/4" and the elevators also about 3/8th"

Anglia Models at Gorleston Norfolk still sell Bowman and are good for Magister spares. If you telephoned them I am sure they can give you the recommended settings.

If you are not already airborne, don't hang about as the Magister flies and performs wonderfully.

Hi Malcolm, thank you for your response, much appreciated I thought perhaps the Magister was history. I had hoped to fly my model this year but due to too many other models to fly and poor weather when I had flying time delayed the test flying. I have installed a Thunder Tiger 91Fs, it weighs just under 12lbs without fuel, I have on board ignition using the system from a company in Welwyn Garden city I think., [it is along time ago]

The Magister has a particular spot in my memories, it was in 1940 that a Polish pilot flying a Magister ran out of fuel and landed in the field at the bottom of our garden as an excited 9 year old I was able to play pilot for a couple of days before the RAF arrived to recover the plane. My mother thought the pilot was German so when he approached her she was holding a shot gun, it took me a few minutes to convince her that he was wearing RAF uniform at that point she invited him into have a cup of tea.

It will be March/April now before in can get to test fly, our winter is not what I call ideal flying weather although some hardy souls fly with skis when suitable. Again thanks

Norman

Norman, I don't have such an exciting reason for choosing to model the Magister. It's just that I like all Miles aircraft and also have a Seagull model of the Sparrowhawk.

Flew the magister this morning, conditions were good but a bit too good because with 'nil' breeze at the field she just didn't wnt to slow down enough for the landings and twice I overran the strip.

Never mind I brought it home in one piece.

Cheers.

• 2 years later...