refitting a paper plane

Andy Bennett

Advert

Some nice looking planes there Andy......how would you intend to power them?

I have a 15" span Sabre F86 made of foam.....this has 2gram servos fitted (2 off them) a small reciver &is powered by a small electric motor spinning a 35mm diameter fan...all powered with an 8volt battery....I'm guessing this is the sort of area you will need to be in for any chance of flight.

Problems I see apart from the small size would be lack of rigidity in the airframe to take a power unit & servos.....being small will make it difficult to fly as well.....

But don't let us put you off......teeth 2

The unit Rentman has linked too would be most excellent as it has built in "stability control" which would help....

But fly it as a glider...? How long do you think it will stay up? 20 seconds? 25 perhaps.....? bearly time to control it at all......wink 2

For extra strength you could consider a carbon rod.....available at 1mm diameter (do I think I might have seen 0.5mm somewhere!!) pretty light & quite strong.....

Alternatively these might tickle your fancy as a very small & light R/C plane....

Short answer Andy is I don't know........embarrassed

But I'm intruiged.....as I understand it you wanted to build a paper aeroplane as a chuck & glide model but control it with radio.....given that paper aeroplanes are not known for long flight times what were you actually expecting to happen?

There are quite a few very small RC models for indoor flight but these are usually made of lightweight foam..... this might be interesting for you but these are all propdriven.....as I recall the site you linked to showed the models as jets....which wouldn't look right with a prop....

OK...its becoming a little clearer....so you want to replicate the flights shown in the video but with radio control.....yes?

Well you need a plane then...the F22 looked good....the unit Ian linked to earlier is probably about as small & light as you can go...this has a receiver & two servos...if you went for the F22 & modified the tailplane so it could twist this would give you roll & pitch control.

Then you would need a transmitter....a Spektrum one probably....Ideally with V tail mixing built in....ooh & an on board battery for the radio......maybe a single cell LiPo??

The problem I see is one of weight...yes the radio is tiny & weighs nothing but its probably several times heavier than a paper airframe.....dont know

No offence taken, I thought you had gone away from that idea, a few posts above you mention launching off another plane. In the lift of a slope you would not need to do that.

I think the answer is that you need to research the ideas given here and come up with your own plan, also look on hobbyking they have a couple of very small Spektrum compatible receivers, I think one of them weighs 2g and is 4 channel but you have to solder servos/actuator wires directly to it.

I think one of the Parkzone 3in1 boards from an ember/vapor is ideal added to a vapor motor with small prop so you don't need the gearbox unit, this would save some weight.

Doing this is not exactly low cost because you pay a premium for the smaller sized components.

It is very small, how about an A3 version made from stiffer poster paper?

Even if you went with a receiver like this you might get it down to 2.5g by removing the heatshrink

or weighing in at about 1g this might be an option but you also need a specific transmitter module to go with it and a module based transmitter to install it in

They also do a super micro brushless ESC at 0.3g from the UK warehouse.

The whole range is here

If you have a Spektrum transmitter the control board from the new Parkzone Mini Vapor might be an option but it costs £45.59, the weight is not listed but I bet it is not much as the whole Mini Vapor is only 8.6g, it has a wingspan on 220mm. This motor would then be an option - link

In fact you could probably use many of the Mini vapor parts to build the plane.

Details of the Mini Vapor here

Let us know if you do decide to build the plane, it would be interesting to know how it goes

You could also perhaps use the electonics from the eRC Nano Stik, you can get the whole ready to fly plane for about £35 including the transmitter and batteries. The flying weight is just under 9g and you would get to 'play' with the plane before taking it to bits for parts

This guy has build an F22.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 21/02/2013 18:59:57