Great Plane Dirty Birdy

Bill Michie

Maidened a week ago..............

A bit heavier than I would have liked, at 8.25lbs, but not unusual for that period! ST "S" .61, piped, APC 11x8, Spring-airs.

Flies great, though not as "carefree" as today's models, esp at lower speeds; NEEDS to be flown fast (I like!). Lands with a nice nose-high attitude (as long as you slow down a LONG way out!)

Equipment is mostly "recycled", (some of mine, Eb*y and friends' old stuff!) in fact the only new stuff is a nose-gear unit, bigger tank & APC prop. I bought the engine new in Jan '86 so could be considered a "period engine"!

Photo's courtesy of Kevin Twitchett, Club Member & expert photographer.....

Looking forward to flying this more, 7 flights last weekend.

Bill

Advert

Very nice, there are a few threads on these in RC Groups and RC Universe where they get good reviews.

Suprisingly beefy for an ARTF, but my Blue Angel is a similar weight and is an absolute breeze to fly and capable of slowing up quite nicely. Or maybe that's just in comparison to my Crescent Tornado?

What prop are you using with the pipe? I've been using a 12*10W APC on a piped OS61SF.

Hi Bob. A lot of the weight is in the wings & their over-engineered joiner, fuz seems quite light, as do the stabs.

Am using an 11x8 initially to get the engine on the pipe & in its power band, remember this is an "old-school" short-stroke .61, in t'old days the normal prop was MK 11x7 3/4 (or wood equivalent). The SF is a longstroke engine, so the prop you're using is ideal (12x10 to 12x11 or the Wide that you have). I still have some of those but they'd be too much on this engine, the most I'd be able to use I reckon, is 11x9 or 12x8. For now, this one works & isn't too noisy due to the small diameter.

The model slows down OK, and once the nose is up, can be nicely controlled with a trickle of power for a nose-high landing (sweet!).

I love the classic "fish" shape, especially in the air. It's a bit of a "road-runner" on takeoff, but once up & going, flies nicely, sweet rolls and BIG loops. Uses a fair amount of sky................

Yep, some of these trike UC models do need space to accelerate, especially with the typical 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" wheels on grass. I've seen the Tornado being wrung out through close in manouvers and while it's impressive there are better models for that, these style look so much better carving up the sky.

My STs are later versions so I run them on 12 or 13" props as well, it keeps them within the club's strict noise limits, but yes, in their day the FSR and similar would have been running 11*7 3/4 at 13000+ rpm.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/02/2013 13:42:53