Fly to build ratio

Jon Laughton

LoL I think I,ve spent 3 whole evenings covering, sanding and building this week which would be about 10 hours. Test flew an electric bird yesterday which was 60 seconds on the sticks. It flew really well but esc was over heating. Going out this morning swimming with kids and the Midget Mustang is coming to for a wringing out at the air field. Maybe get 2 or 3 flights hopefully. So thats about 25 min flying time. % aren't looking good really lol

Jamie

Advert

Well this thread has cartainly got us all considering what we do !

My own flight v build time is much the same as everyone else here. Maybe 2 or 3 per cent. However, that's not the point. I love it, I really really love it. All of it. That 2 or 3 per cent is the highlight of my week. My interest level rockets on Saturday morning and if I can mange 3 or 4 flights I am well happy. No, absolutely ecstatic. If,when, I bend a model it's not the end of the world, it just means a little more time in my man cave putting it back together.

How many big fish do the maggot drowners catch...a low per centage methinks.

I used to play golf and the number of good shots I played was probably also around 2 or 3 per cent. I can still remember them.......then I saw the light......

Just my tuppence worth....roll on the next 2 per cent

Gazza

Believe it or not, this forum, which I have just come across, I find truly inspiring. Because it would seem that some of you, whom I would assume to be reasonably able, barely manage the same build/fly ratio that I do. I have been getting a bit despondant just recently while working on one of my latest flying machines. It is at that exciting stage just prior to covering when one can visual the finished job in flight. When done I shall have fifteen RTF models, mostly scratch built. Because I am getting older (I am 81), I have also treated myself to six more must builds, all kits, and I have at least four plans that I would love to create. I am toying with the idea of getting them "cadded" and laser cut. But back to this past season. I managed to have a couple of models maidened. I started R/C modelling six years ago and I built Peter Miller's CAP 21 as my second build. It had been a hangar queen all this time as I was warned it could be a bit hairy. Due to my heart problems and severely arthritic knees, I fly from my wheelchair and the Club insists that I am always connected to a buddy box. A couple of clubmates did the test flight. It flies great, as long as you are a formula one driver.I sold it almost immediately. The other model is also a PM design. His Big Ship (elecrified), Now !! Even on its maiden I was allowed to have the Tx. It just floated around with slight nudges on the controls. A couple of very minor adjustments were necessary, since done. However, although we have had some very decent weather, locally, for the last ten days, my legs have been so painful that I have not got through the front door. I still have four more ships to be maidened, none of which should be too hairy and I look forward to those days when A. the weather is good, B. my legs feelable and C. there will be a flying buddy available. Ideally this would happen twice a week but that's an extremely rare occurance. However, reading this forum, it seems to me that I am not bottom of the class. So, I will continue to enjoy my builds, even if it is other guys who get to fly my models.

Cheers. Alan.

I spend a lot of my time flying for several reasons. Originally I just wanted the pleasure of being in control of graceful flying machines, so the flying has always been my main focus. However at least 30% of my airborne time these days is in some sort of intructional role which I enjoy but does leave me feeling like I've let down my personal ambitions somewhat so I'm always craving for more.

I would like to spend more time on building and maintenance too but again when I do I feel like I'm missing out on the flying.

With winter coming the training role normally decreases because a lot of people stop coming out (and sometimes disappear altogether, perhaps a subject for another thread "Where do they all go?" ), so I get more of my own flying in, even if it is sometimes bitterly cold.

My garage/workshop is not a warm place at the best of times and in the winter I just don't seem to be able to get it warm enough to be comfortable working in.

So all in all my fly to build ratio is not what I would like, probably 20% build etc to flying - I'd prefer nearer 40% build to flying.

However, if we count time spent on this forum and flying Phoenix online with other forumites then that probably changes the balance quite a lot.smile

Edited By Ian Jones on 28/09/2013 12:18:03