Please recommend me a covering material

I spent a lovely few hours today reading a 1990 edition of Radio Modeller from a time when flying was half about building (or sitting in a chair dreaming about building).... which inspired me to get building.

Now whilst I could finish my Cambrian Funfighter (got to the tricky painting stage) or even finish assembling my ARTF electric pylon racer I'm going to do what any radio modeller worth his / her salt would do and start building a different plane.

So... two vintage kits ordered (a bit late for the mass build I know) but what to cover it with?

I'm building a Mini Super and a Sid King Novice. Both for a diminuitive TT10GP engine which has sat in my shed for the last 20 years. I'll probably build the Novice first- the 10GP was the engine I initially bought to teach myself to fly with on a plane like the Novice so it will be interesting to see if I could have!

But what to cover with

1) must be heat-shrink- tried the tissue + dope thing many years ago, got the headache, got told off by my mum about stinking the house out etc etc

2) cost effectiveness is appreciated- how much is solarfilm?! Almost had a coronary looking at the cost of a roll.

3) must look right- shiny shiny film on a vintage plane might look a bit pants

I'm thinking Solartex might be a bit heavy for such a small plane- but is that right? It's probably closest to the "look" I'm going for. Up until now my sole film experience has been with Solarfilm and the last plane I film covered was circa 1995 so I'm a bit rusty.

Sorry for the meandering waffle- any opinions appreciated.

Advert

If you wanted to tissue cover again, DeLuxe Materials do a nitro dope 'substitute' : a water-based product called 'Eze-Dope' . I bought some a while back whilst experimenting with coverings and seems to work OK. Didn't use it extensively though. No appreciable smell - I can't handle dope any more , asthma's returned so I'm only using water-based paints.

Have you requested the free sample pack of coverings from Solarfilm?