First Model Jet Turbine Flight.

Tom Sharp

Depends on the club. I've found that if there is a tarmac/concrete runway then yes they have caught on (in those clubs). But that could be that the jet-heads flock to those clubs!

We have a couple of members who fly their turbines off our grass patches, however they don't come out that often. Usually only when the weather is ideal.

My taking is the owners tend to be:

• Your an excellent pilot and very unlikely to break it
  • You bought it because you always wanted it - however your often too scared to fly it as you don't want to break it
  • You have enough money not to care!

The thing about RC jet turbine models they not only fly scale, but they crash scale too! Usually in a ball of fire...

Plenty of YouTube clips showing what happens if they go in hard!

Si.

Out her in Dubai they have caught on big time, and if you go on the net forums they are big world wide.

There again money is no object for a lot of people out here.

I have 2 (was 3) turbine models and I do not have any excess money.

My first is a Boomerang Sprint with G Booster 80 engine, flies easier than a club ic trainer, and is suitable for small club grass fields.

My latest is the Tony Nijhuis Retro Jet 75, built from his plan and maidened last week. A good low cost club flyer with any low cost small turbine and basic equipment needed.

The 3rd wa a Skymaster Hawk in Red Arrows scheme, but as Simon pointed out, they crash scale as well.

But I do not fall into any of the categories Simon lists, I am just an average club flyer, not scared to fly the model, but not rich either.

When they are in the air they are just another model.

If you get the chance book yourself into one f the flying schools like Paul Heckles and have a go.

Darryl

sorry simon i do not agree Jet are regulary flown from our grass strip, ok whilst they can not really be flown when the patch is sodden, they are flown even when the weather is not perfect, it is no different for scale models, you are not going to fly them when the patch is so wet you are in danger of catching a wheel on landing, thats what hack models like the cresent bullet or acro wots are for......but to say we keep them for when the weather is perfect is also wrong, my boomer gets flown an awful lot boomer.jpg

first jet