Can you build your own plane in any sims?

Chuck Plains

I haven't shelled out on an expensive sim, and to be honest really don't want to do so. But, if I found one that allowed me to build and fly my own ideas, that might change my tiny mind. smile p

I've been using EasyFly3 starter edition just for the trainer, and it has definitely helped me during my first flight with My Century Riot. But I'm starting to realise that I might need a bigger screen. I'm also frustrated by the sim's inability to show the ground once the plane is up. Our own periferal vision is key to how we orient our spatial awareness, so this aspect of sims is a problem for everyone I guess. But shan't be spending out on software or hardware unless I can be sure I can get a sim that fits what I think I need.

Advert

On Clearview you can change the settings so that the ground stays in view and in CAD packages you can design, build and assign physical characteristics to models.

You can monkey around with weather settings and there are a plethora of flying sites - I found one that almost exactly matches my club site for green area, trees and obstacles - and there is a lot of freebie downloads of models and sites with a wide community.

You can download the free trial version here which gives you a limited amount of flying time and the full version is very cheap.

Chuck, I have Easyfly 3 Starter as well. I also have Realflight G3 on an old Windows XP laptop. RF3 doesn't allow you to 'design' planes as such but you can modify the ones that are on there. I found that the EZ3D flew better with the CG moved forward a bit, I also tweaked one or two others. Now I've got a newer laptop with Windows 8 and put Easyfly3 starter on it. It's ok but you can't alter the zoom to keep the ground in view as you can on Realflight or alter the weather. I'd also like to get rid of the sun which seems to always be whiting out the screen whenever I fly high! There's a limited choice of models and I mainly fly the Multiplex Cularis on the sim. Another thing is the controller that comes with Easyfly, its a 'game' type without proper sticks, just 2 large buttons but they don't seem to work the same as a proper Tx. As an experiment I plugged the Realflight Tx into the USB port and tried to get the sticks to work so that flying Easyfly3 was more realistic. The only thing I can't get right is the throttle channel, I found that one of the switches on the Realflight Tx toggles it on or off so I fly the Cularis like that. It wouldn't be any good with the trainer that you fly. I like Realflight and would put a later version onto the new laptop but it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, just 'Integrated Intel HD graphics' whatever that is. I'd hate to spend a lot on a new sim and find out that it won't run. So, no I don't know of a sim which lets you completely design your own plane, nice idea though.

I haven't got into balsa builds yet Phil, mainly because foam is cheaper per square mile. But yes, I will need to learn CAD at least enough to experiment with wing profiles and such like. To be honest, i'm not sure if I can do it, as my tinnitus really makes concentration problematical indoors. When I'm flying, I'm focused so much on the aircraft, that it's none existent, which is encouraging me to press on with the hobby. thumbs upface 1

Hi Buster,

I already had a TX style controller from my free gift via the magazine. Though they sent a mode 1 which I don't think I asked for. But I found I could turn it upside down and reverse the servos, so it's converted to mode 2 that way now. Hahaha! The same controller in mode 2 seems to be available for £15 on Fleabay.

I don't use Windows products these days. Ubuntu (linux) has been my OS of choice for 6 years so far. My Easyfly CD loaded and ran itself sing the Wine Windows compatibility program and is absolutely fine. A quick bit of research gives the impression thst Clearview will run with Wine, not sure about beer/tea/coffee.

Hmm, just found out that the aircraft creation license for Clearview is $100, wait, £65. Curses, that means, buy the software this payday, and a bigger monitor next month. Oh well, I'll just sit colser to the screen smile p

But I love the idea of changing airfoil shapes etc, so I'll have to bite the bullet if the trial Clearview download will run on my Linux box.

Hello Chuck. Respectfully, I don't think that learning CAD to design/draw models for a sim is a good plan. CAD is extremely complex, no matter which programme you use, and the learning curve is very steep and very long. If you were already a CAD-ist then fine, but otherwise, I wouldn't count on being able to learn it sufficiently well to design your own models.

As regards the sims, the "keep ground in view" option is fine but you'll find that the sim keeps zooming in and out which is most disconcerting in my opinion. The "default" view option appears to be the one which zooms in to your model as it gets further away which I also find disconcerting, especially when coming in to land and the sim keeps zooming out the closer you get to the landing site. I personally prefer the fixed view. I zoom right in, manually, and then back out again, but only slightly and find that this gives the most realistic view. You're right in saying that this cuts out your periferal vision but I find it more reralistic, even so.

Do try the trial version of Clearview which Lima has linked to above and see if your controller works with it.

Just my two pennarth. Ian

I appreciate your input Ian.

I know what you mean about learning CAD. I've vaguely looked into it before and, I confess, I have felt that it's probably beyond me, what with tunnitus drawing away my concentration at times. Ironically a noisy work environment suits me fine. But sometimes I find that if my understanding of something I'm working on suddenly 'clicks', like flying RC, then confidence increases and I can immerse myself in the subject. We have a couple of guys at work that use CAD daily to produce programs for machining precision components, so I may be able to get some expert assistance during out of work hours. wink 2

As for sims, no, I don't want to zoom in on the model or follow it. I think that a proper sized screen (27" will help the most. And they aren't that expensive if you shop around.

I have already downloaded the Clearvie trial, and have some sort of hang up issue with the menus being inactive. So I'll try and adjust my Nvidia settings or something.

• 2 months later...

Does anybody know how to set up weather setting on realflight g4.5...i've got the wind setting ok but im struggling with the turbulance can anybody help or should i buy the newest version g6.5 .im using my good old skysport 6a that i've had for years and can i change the engine around i seen a b17 with 4 deisel engines on it???? please help..thanks