Hangar 9 Katana

OS 91 KatanaKatana 50 OS91 fsWell after fitting out my Katana with the 55AX two stroke fitted it looked to need around 6 ounces of lead to balance it. I'd made a good effort to keep weight away from the tail using servo's lighter than the recommended units for the elevator and mounting the rudder servo inboard on a pull pull set up.

So after a look at the spec sheets the 55AX comes in at 18.5 ounces and the 91 Surpass four stroke weighs 24.6 ounces. Ahh so there's my missing six ounces.

I purchased a new mount to accommodate the larger four stroke and this needed a little fettling to accommodate the pump unit so I could get the engine the rite distance from the firewall.

I maiden'd it yesterday and am very pleased indeed with it , just a few clicks of up were needed to get her flying straight & level. It flys at just under half throttle with the rest in reserve for some great vertical performance. The C of G was ok but I will move it back a little next time out, I have placed the tank back nearer the balance point resulting in a nice constant balance feel throughout the flight.

Loops & cuban 8s are very nice and the stall is almost non existent so she has to be coaxed into a spin. I got about 50% of my stall turns looking ok but will need to work on my timing a bit.

Advert

• 6 months later...