The Seagull E-Pioneer thread

Jon

Advert

Had a bit of an accident last night.Id bound the Pioneer in the wrong place,and selected a new position.IM using a secondhand spectrum DX7.When I carried out the original tests the motor was the wrong way round.I corrected that,Finished the other jobs and bound the model.I found the elevator and throttle needed reversing.Stupidly I turned thr transmitter off first.Before Id had time to react the motor started up flat out ,the model shot forward ,the prop had bashed my left index finger.THe prop broke and flew off the model which by now was on the floor,covered in blood.The repair to my finger was abit fraught because I was on my own ,but with lots of plasters stragically placed at varying angles the blood flow was plugged.I had payed strict attention to the first tutorial and had noted the removal of the prop,but needing to test it was travelling in the correct way Id put it back on.1 job at a time well away from you,thats the lesson.I think Ive got it now,OUCH.Once I cleared the mess up I finished the model and  its now ready to fly.Problem is IM loving the Mentor and with extra batteries Im getting 20 minute flights and its going so well im going to stick with it for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...
Ive crashed the Mentor.Imgoing to try a modified exhaust on the Boomerang and if it still lands covered in oil im getting the Pioneer out for its maiden..Interestingly the Mentor crash was identical to the pioneer crash but the mentor was much higher and the resulting damage destroyed the pioneer bit the Mentor broke the fuselage clean in half so a fairly straight forward repair hopefully.

I like the pioneer and in thinking of getting one for use as a trainer. I particularly like the way it breaks down for transport and storage. This is will be very useful for me. I also enjoy the connivance and cleanliness of electric power. But I am confused about what power train I will need. My club site is always windy so I need the power to handle a stiff breeze. But for me I would like some endurance with flight times of 15 mins or more if possible. Can you guys help and sugest a motor, prop size and battery set up for the Pioneer that could achieve this?

Hi Phil - there is a fair bit of discussion about suitable powertrains toward the beginning of this thread - take a look and if you still need help...post back by all means.
Very simplistically, the duration you can expect to get from your chosen setup will depend mainly on the capacity of the battery in mahr. Prop size is governed by the type and flying style of the model - although to a certain extent the bigger the diameter the more efficient (and quiet) your model will be. Prop size will also of course make a big difference to the power consumption of the setup. Motors for this model seem to pan out at around 900 - 1100 Kv or so, with a decent reserve of  500 Watt capabilty or so.
You can always throttle back eh!

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 04/05/2009 11:29:08

in fact Phil, a few pages back I listed the equipment I used and on the first page Jon posted the stuff he used. You can't go wrong with either of our setups. In fact, I would go with Jons setup as you've got the Motor and ESC built for each other! However, you may wish to use the batteries I used as they are ALOT cheaper!

Edited By Ben Mullins on 04/05/2009 11:15:56

RCM&E Review There is a good review here that sugests 900kv with a 12x6 prop and 3s battery. But flight time is imporant  to me and tends to be the week link of EP.

I want to use 3s rather than 4s batteries mainly because I already have some I can use and they tend to be cheeper. But I feel this will be fine as I only want to use it as a trainer so slow and steady will suit me.

I have read through the this thread but i am still confused. I need to get it right as what I buy now I will be stuck with as I dont have the budget to experiment with different set ups

Timbo I need your help on this one

Well TBH Phil the review, and others experience suggest that 4S is really the way to go - now thats not to say thats its impossible to use a 3s but the problem is that to get the sort of power you need ( circa 500 watts ) from a 3s battery means a LOT of amps. £s Lipos will show around 10.5V or so under load so to get your 500 Watts you will be pulling  47A and therefore draining your batteries quite quickly - and you specified you wanted good duration. Secondly, the lower voltage means lower RPM so you may need to go up a bit higher in KV of the motor. Higher Kv means higher current draw, so you are kinda in the endless loop scenario IYKWIM.
If you simply MUST go 3s route, then you should get the higher Kv motor, and use very large capacity batteries to ensure duration. The higher Amps will also mean a higher rated ESC - at least 60A I would recommend.

I have this motor already  EMAX 2822 (I think it is the one Ben used). I also own agood 60A ESC and two 3s batteries. If I can utilise these it will help keep my costs down. But How do I work out prop size.

The RCM&E review also reconends 3s batteries for beginers (with the 900kv motor used in the review).

Timbo if though I was starting from a clean sheet. what set up would you recommend?

Sorry Phil, Go back even further than that! That motor will deffo not power this thing! Go for this Emax motor. You will need a 60A ESC and prob a 4S battery, might get away with 3S

EDIT: We've all managed to find the same motor! My Emax (what ever that thing is!) motor fell apart while at high revs, coulda killed someone the rate that it fell apart!

Edited By Ben Mullins on 04/05/2009 12:15:11

Phil. You seem to be posting things before reading the responses already given! I had alreadt said that the 2822 motor was completely wrong, AND linked to the correct one which you then later asked about
I think you need to slow down a little, take stock of what gas already been suggested earlier in the thread, and choose wisely first time around, otherwise you could end up paying out twice. First you say you almost must use only £s packs, and now you are asking for what to buy if starting from scratch.
I am not criticising here old mate, just trying toi get you sorted correctly.

I asked about starting from scratch because if i us 4s batteries I will nees to buy them and a charger. using 3s would be cheeper as I already own some and charger but the feed back I am getting seems to point to this as not the best option. As you said I only want to buy once ( I can not afford to but the wrong kit)

If there was a set up recommended by seagull I would use that as I know it would work

Thanks for your help it is usefull

Phil ,,Ive had several Pioneers ,and a new 1 ready to fly. I cant tell you the motor I have because its anonymous.I got thr power set up from BRC  The motor is recognised by its colour BLUE ,I believe Hi Mac.I have an 80 amp ESC and run on 4s 3700 batteries which give 12 minutes.Iknow take a charger with me to get more flying in,On a wattmeter I get about 550 watts so enough power.

Take Timbo’s advice Phil B..... He helped me right from the start of this thread... >>

>>

The Seagul fly's very well on a 4s 2500ma but  I use 2 x 2500 4s in parallel and get about 12 to 15mins flying time ... at 3s I think you will end up with shorter fights due to drawing more current.>>

good luck