Newbie still awaiting first crash

Tone Lees

Hi everyone, I thought I should start to get to know some people with some flying experience before I take to the air with my new toy. It's a calamarto trainer I think, I,ve spent all day putting it together and just need a few more bits from the model shop before my maiden flight. Any advice would be very welcome as all the people around me are convinced that even if I manage to get the thing off the ground landing will be a different matter.

Tone

Advert

Re. flight simulators.  You could pay £20, or you could pay nothing and get FMS.  OK, you will need to buy the right cable to connect your transmitter to your PC, but these are available from a number of suppliers.

Apart from all that, I have to say that I agree with Eric.  You can't treat these things like toys: people lose fingers just starting the engines.  If you join a club you'll be insured, have a prepared site to fly from, have access to a ready-made crowd of knowledgeable supporters and almost certainly someone who will help you not to crash the thing by doing the difficult bits (taking off and landing) for you until you've got the hang of it.  All sounds a bit daunting and maybe a little hysterical, I know, but trust us, you'll be making your life much easier!

Like Eric says, get insured and join a club. I spent many years avoiding clubs, put off by what I perceievd as a clique who would look down on me and my trainer, but I had soooo many crashes and smashes, I eventually joined. I have never looked back, also if you have any handling problems, engine problems etc, there's always help on hand. Plus if you don't have all the starters etc, they will have.